THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You tell em Brudda!:cool:

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02774.jpg
Damn, that was a lot of salmon cooking!! But, DAMN, was it good!! That's a great pic of me hamming it up!!

Well dang, I may be in trouble. The wind is swirling, I have the vent on the firebox closed, a small fire going, mainly just one chunk of apple and still cant get under 160. I may try propping the lid on the cooking chamber open.

I tried to send a pic from my phone and Sprints picture mail is down for service. :(

The good thing is down I have decided to put a dampener between the firebox and the cooking chamber on my big smoker I am making.

I would season with a generous amount of lemon pepper and nothing else. I would build a very small fire, perhaps 5 or 6 briquettes of charcoal and put the fish on a piece of aluminum foil close to, but not over the fire. I would use any kind of fruit wood for the smoke-apple, cherry, peach work well.

The temperature at the grill level on mine usually reads around 140 degrees. It takes about 4 hours. The whole time it looks like nothing is happening, but when you press with your finger at the end of 4 hours you can tell it is done. It will still be pink and moist. I serve it on crackers with chopped onions, black pepper and lemon juice. You can also put a little cream cheese on the cracker first if you wish.

I have created a lot of followers with this receipe. :lol:

Scrooge Fan,

That sounds really good! A couple of questions:

1. Are you doing that on a grill, or some type of smoker? The reason I ask is the comment about "close to, but not over the fire."

2. Do you apply smoke for the whole 4 hours?

Thanks,

JimT

4 1/2 hours, wind is swirling, offset is giving me gas and the kids are hungry. It is now in that big box in the kitchen wrapped in foil.

maybe next time.:sad:

Lemon pepper, Chili flakes,Green onion, oilve oil and soak the wraps in white wine.

2vmvvax.jpg

2wdcyzo.jpg

2v357p1.jpg

fvilpv.jpg

Sorry I missed this thread - crazy work getting in the way of playing.

But several questions were missed. What kind of salmon? Different species of salmon have different fat contents and different textures. That would help determine if it should be grilled, smoked, marinated, etc.

If it was a 5lb filet - (assuming wild Alaskan salmon) chances are it was either a chum or silver. In my opinion - a chum filet would need a rub higher in salt, as they tend to get mushy when cooked. When we actually keep chums - we smoke then can them.

If you have a nice filet from a silver - those can almost be grilled 'as is' because they tend to be firmer. Great for planking or grilling.

If you have a 5 lb chunk of king salmon - I'll find an MRI in your area that needs fixing and I'll be on a flight later on today.............

I honestly cant tell you what it was, I picked it up at Sam's a few days ago. I can say, it didn't last long after it hit the table. And, I got permission from my wife to do it again, so it must have been OK in the end.

Scrooge Fan,

That sounds really good! A couple of questions:

1. Are you doing that on a grill, or some type of smoker? The reason I ask is the comment about "close to, but not over the fire."

2. Do you apply smoke for the whole 4 hours?

Thanks,

JimT

I have done it on an offset smoker where I build the fire in the barrell part rather than in the firebox part. I have also done them on my weber kettle. You could actually do it on a gas grill if you covered the burners with aluminum foil and built the fire right over the burners. I keep adding charcoal and wood for the whole four hours. I usually use a piece of wood about the size of a cigar.

Back