If you could only have ONE BBQ book... (Gift idea help!)

Don't have it but I've heard plenty good of the Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue book. I think it'll be perfect for him.

Another vote for Adam's book. My other favorite it Franklin's book. Get him both and you will be his favorite!

By the way, Adam's other book, Charred & Scruffed is also awesome for grilling.

Another excellent book IMO is Chris Lillie's Big Bob Gibson BBQ book. Also Smokin' with Myron Mixon.

I second these two!

And, if you want a good book about BBQ, but not as long on the recipes or how-tos, but with some amazing pron, go find The Prophets of Smoked Meat by Daniel Vaughn. It is entirely Texas focused, but has some great stories and reviews about the history of BBQ in the Lone Star state. I'm not a Texan, but visit occasionally, and I thoroughly enjoyed the great read/pics.

I've got MOST of the ones already listed and enjoy every one of them for different reasons.
Since he has a bit of knowledge already and may enjoy the "world of BBQ" more than just a cookbook, AND since he is in North Carolina (I'm assuming as you are from Greenville), then I'll suggest: “Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue” By: John Shelton Reed and Dale Volberg Reed.
This book is a GREAT read for the history of BBQ in general and of BBQ in North Carolina specifically. It also has lots of great recipies.

I've got MOST of the ones already listed and enjoy every one of them for different reasons.
Since he has a bit of knowledge already and may enjoy the "world of BBQ" more than just a cookbook, AND since he is in North Carolina (I'm assuming as you are from Greenville), then I'll suggest: “Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue” By: John Shelton Reed and Dale Volberg Reed.
This book is a GREAT read for the history of BBQ in general and of BBQ in North Carolina specifically. It also has lots of great recipies.

Yup, wife and in-laws are from Eastern NC. Wife's an ECU Alum and Pirate through-and-through. I'm a Georgia-transplant-by-way-of-Indiana myself!

I have Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue and love it. Have read it cover-to-cover twice! Also a fan of Bob Garner's Book of Barbecue: North Carolina's Favorite Food - less about history and "tradition," but an indispensable guide to restaurants and touring the NC BBQ Trail. While I'm thinking of/looking for more of a "how to" for this Christmas gift, if he develops half the BBQ obsession that I have, Holy Smoke might be a fantastic choice for his birthday (early spring) or Father's Day - just in time for summer cook-out season!

Best of luck to your Tarheels this Saturday. They've got a tough task ahead of them in Clemson, but at least they're still playing...unlike a certain team from a certain University in my neck of the woods...:mad::mad2::mad::mad2:

I have Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue and love it. Have read it cover-to-cover twice! Also a fan of Bob Garner's Book of Barbecue: North Carolina's Favorite Food - less about history and "tradition," but an indispensable guide to restaurants and touring the NC BBQ Trail. While I'm thinking of/looking for more of a "how to" for this Christmas gift, if he develops half the BBQ obsession that I have, Holy Smoke might be a fantastic choice for his birthday (early spring) or Father's Day - just in time for summer cook-out season!

Best of luck to your Tarheels this Saturday. They've got a tough task ahead of them in Clemson, but at least they're still playing...unlike a certain team from a certain University in my neck of the woods...:mad::mad2::mad::mad2:

There are actually seven books currently in publication totally dedicated to North Carolina BBQ, but “Holy Smoke” is by far the best of all of them. There was one other book that was published back in the 1970s, but is not currently available. I’ve got all seven available and have been in search of the other for a while now.
Concerning the upcoming ACC Championship game – IF the Tarheels defense can step up and stop the Tigers offense then I think that we have a chance. UNFORTUNATELY, I believe that Clemson offense will exploit our defensive weaknesses and it is going to be a long game for us. Will probably be a high scoring game no matter what.

and a good, "basic" backyard barbecue cookbook/primer.

I too have a ton of bbq cookbooks on the shelf.

If I were tasked to get one basic bbq primer book as a gift, it would hands down the Chris Lily's original Big Bob Gibson BBQ book.

If I were getting a book for a complete novice, it would be Jeff Phillips- Smoking Meat

I've got Smokin' w/ Myron Mixon and Wicked Good BBQ. The second one has tons of recipes and a lot less ego (though I use recipes from the first one regularly). And Go Tigers!

Mike Mills - Peace, Love, and BBQ is the best book of these mentioned by far.

Big Bob Gibson by Chris Lily is good too.

APL's Serious BBQ is a good book. His latest, "Charred and Scruffed" is awful. He must have had a two-book deal or something. It is bad.

Franklin's new book is mediocre, but has a lot of helpful step-by-step pictures. Unless you are a novice, this book is not for you. Also, half of it is just a telling of his beginnings in starting his restaurant. I have been enjoying his PBS show though.

Mike Mills - Peace, Love, and BBQ is the best book of these mentioned by far.

This is hand's down my very favorite BBQ book. I'm hoping for the big book of NC BBQ book and AF's book this year under the Christmas tree, but Peace, Love, and BBQ is by far the best I've read (and own).

I still use his Magic Dust and Apple City Sauce recipes as my general guideline for pulled pork/ribs. I don't follow them to the letter (recipes to the letter are NOT my thing) but I find both to be great jumping off points for tweaking (and both way better than any prepackaged rub/sauce I've tried).

Beyond the recipes though I find the stories immensely entertaining, and it's exactly the type of stuff I like to read about BBQ. There are a billion BBQ recipe/technique books, but only a handful that focus on the stories and tradition of 'q.

I'd recommend that book to anybody anytime.

the two I like the most have been;

smokin with myron nixon

smoking in the boys room by meliisa cookston

+ 100

I'm probably the only person here that has been trained by 3 World Champions with 12 WC titles among the 3.

Myron's book is the ONLY way to go.

Wanna be a real hero with this man? Enroll him in one of Myron's classes. It'll cost you, total, around $1200-$1400, but he'll come back telling you it was the greatest 3 days of his life, and that he's at least 30 to 50% sharper in knowing what he's doing,

I've done the 3 best schools available: Smokin Triggers (Johnny Trigg's school, Paul Kirk's school, and Jack's old South school). I love all 3 men, but Myron's school is heads & tails above the other 2.

Back