THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the entry fee varies by the size of the space it starts at $200 and goes up from there. no you do not have to enter all categories but you have to do whole hor shoulder and ribs to win grand champion

You sure? I thought normally the grand champion was the highest point total from any category. Results from one of the recent MIM-sanctioned contests shows the GC winning in shoulder.

Loose Caboose Festival, Newton, MS
Grand Champion: Party Q (Shoulder)

You sure? I thought normally the grand champion was the highest point total from any category. Results from one of the recent MIM-sanctioned contests shows the GC winning in shoulder.

Loose Caboose Festival, Newton, MS
Grand Champion: Party Q (Shoulder)

i could be wrong its been known to happen

You sure? I thought normally the grand champion was the highest point total from any category.
I took a quick look at their rules earlier and I believe it said that to be considered for GC you had to enter whole hog, pork ribs and shoulder.

I took a quick look at their rules earlier and I believe it said that to be considered for GC you had to enter whole hog, pork ribs and shoulder.

You have the rules? I'd love to understand them better! I was thinking of doing all three categories Turducken style...Whole hog stuffed with rib-wrapped shoulders. Sounds good to me!

You have the rules? I'd love to understand them better! I was thinking of doing all three categories Turducken style...Whole hog stuffed with rib-wrapped shoulders. Sounds good to me!
I got an email at work from Kristen today with the rules attached. I'll post them here tomorrow (Thursday).

See http://www.geocities.com/memphis_angelpig/judging.html for a good explanation of MIM judging. Even though this web site is talking about the Memphis in May event, MIM sanctioned contests are judged the same way. You do not have to cook all three categories. The top three whole hog, shoulder, and rib entries make finals and are then judged by the four finals judges. The grand champion is the best barbecue of the day overall. The preliminary round for each meat category (hog, shoulder,ribs) consists of a blind box turn-in that is judged by a table of four judges and three on-site judges. The blind box scores count 60% so if you don't have a good product you will not make finals. There is no garnish at all; just a box full of meat. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about MIM events. I hope this information helps. Good luck with this contest!

Hey, I just spoke to the organizers and they are looking for a couple more teams to make this first contest strong. Should be fun if there are any fence sitters out there who want to try MIM-style cooking.

I'm also going to see if they will join here as members. I'm sure we'd appreciate an insiders take on how these contests run, are judged, etc. since many NE-based members have never had the chance to see a MIM contest or cook one.:mrgreen:

What a fruity looking bunch

Just because his name is Peaches (far right) doesn't give you the right to call us fruity, Ash Hole!

Nice digging, though, to find that picture. My first grilling contest (grilling was enough of a challenge out of the gate so I skipped the real BBQ challenge at Grill Kings) a year ago, moments after I discovered the Brethren.

I'm pretty darn amazed when I consider what I thought I knew then compared to what I know now, thanks entirely to you all!!! I've been trying to focus on work and family all week but my mind is actually on next week's Rock N Ribfest in New Hampshire, my first real bbq contest on my own after an eye opening try in Hudson Valley late last year.

I was ready to call it quits after that until some very good advice from our own Poobah: "Stop trying to do it all yourself." (or something like that). Point being, I was creating my own rubs and sauce from scratch when it was just as easy -- and tasted better -- to modify an existing rub and sauce. I was up all night watching a couple of leaky vertical cookers with no real clue what temperature they were at, let alone the meat inside, going strickly on a "feeling".

Fighting a crazy rainstorm that took my canopy away while my team got ready for bed (read: passed out). So some things have changed. I am relaxed and ready to see how the chips fall next weekend, at the MIM contest, and whatever I do there after. Don't try to do it all yourself and don't take it so seriously and it'll be a great ride!

Back