If I hear, "___________" one more time....

My #2 is when they trim 30%-40% of the brisket to make it "aerodynamic" (I've actually heard people make this claim multiple times)

THIS!!!! Now, to a very small extent, I can understand trimming the fat to something that will actually render, and removing silverskin so my rubs stick to meat and make a good bark. But trimming to make it aerodynamic? How much air do they think is blowing over that meat and how much wind resistance do you think that meat is creating?

The only thing I can think of is trimming the top such that the fat that renders will roll/drip off the meat instead of pooling up somewhere and destroy any chance of developing good bark under that pool of rendered fat/bastings.

THIS!!!! Now, to a very small extent, I can understand trimming the fat to something that will actually render, and removing silverskin so my rubs stick to meat and make a good bark. But trimming to make it aerodynamic? How much air do they think is blowing over that meat and how much wind resistance do you think that meat is creating?

The only thing I can think of is trimming the top such that the fat that renders will roll/drip off the meat instead of pooling up somewhere and destroy any chance of developing good bark under that pool of rendered fat/bastings.

Making it aerodynamic means cleaning up hard edges and protruding bits that tend to burn up and dry out. Your basically removing anything that isn't a perfect slice of brisket.

My offset in particular had lots of airflow and I would even use an aluminum heat shield to protect the toe end of the flat.

Oh and how bout "if your lookin you ain't cookin"

Not really an "influencer" comment, but general cooking shows that include BBQ is the overwhelming big messy bite and watching the host eat and have over the top reactions and noises. This isn't as bad on competition shows as the judges are typically critical and looking for flaws. But I don't need to see someone take a bite and have orgasmic sounds to help me decide if something looks good or not.

Those wing eating shows drive me crazy.

Making it aerodynamic means cleaning up hard edges and protruding bits that tend to burn up and dry out. Your basically removing anything that isn't a perfect slice of brisket.

My offset in particular had lots of airflow and I would even use an aluminum heat shield to protect the toe end of the flat.

Oh and how bout "if your lookin you ain't cookin"

additionally I like to heavy trim because I usually don't have a bunch of people to serve...but more importantly I use the trimming for burgers and sausage and salami now, et al...

"Flavor profile" kills me.

Also, layering flavors. To me nothing is being layered. All that's happening is the blending of two or more rubs in to a new unique rub. You might as well just blend them together in the first place.

Mouthfeel is a valid term in the world of home brewed beverages (wine, beer, etc). It's related to body. No so much in food however..

It is in food too. Wait until you've run across an unexpected big wad of slimy fat in a mouthful of pulled pork sandwich then you might understand.:doh:

I agree with a lot what everyone has mentioned. I used to cringe when I saw people trim half the brisket away but I get it. Most of the guys actually do use the trimmings for burgers and sausage. Some have worked at or run a food truck that sells burgers made from the trimmings (Bradley Robinson with Chud's BBQ Channel used to or maybe still does, work at Leroy and Lewis BBQ. The guy from Smokn' Joe's Pit BBQ just opened a food truck not too long ago). Although they say aerodynamic, it mostly makes for a nice even slice without a chunk of unrendered fat or crumbling ends. I trim my briskets aggressively but not quite aggressive as Bradley. I usually save my trimmings for mixing with venison for burgers.

Weldon

One more,.. though it's mostly about forums...pretty much any forum....

"No pics or it didn't happen!"

I know it's not a serious comment but it's annoying, to me, YMMV, lol.

Back