Ideas for a BBQ area

sdpike

Knows what a fatty is.
My wife and I are considering building a new home and have always wanted a dedicated area for BBQing. I'd like it to be covered, attached to the house and another wall to keep out the cold northeast winds. There needs to be some cabinets to store the paraphernalia. Also, I'd like to use the smoker under the roof and behind a wall so it's protected. How then does the smoke clear the area? Need to have enough room for some seating. Most of the equipment used is in my sig.

It should be simple and go along with a BBQ theme. I'm not interested in the elaborate outdoor cook areas that a google search comes up with.
We appreciate your ideas. So thanks in advance.
S

Considering you are building new I would look into a ventilation system. A way to remove the smoke rather then trying to pipe it out. Ive never built one but if they have a vent system over every hibachi grill n those little "cook at your table" place I cant imagine its crazy hard.

A north side attached garage, with a semi open lean to extension off the back?, or a L shaped house with courtyard?

I'm doing the same thing, as we speak. On the side of my house. The mason is here right now finishing the forms for a slab pour. I'll have different cookers able to be wheeled around.

One long shelf that I can deploy on a wall. I'm not doing a sink. I have a big utility sink in the utility room 20' away.

Funky galvanized corrugated steel ceiling. I'm also installing retractable wind screen panels on barn door tracks so I can use my 007 on windy days. This kitchen is next to an L-Shaped Pergola.

Now I'm mostly figuring out storage for grates and supplies.

I'm doing the same thing, as we speak. On the side of my house. The mason is here right now finishing the forms for a slab pour. I'll have different cookers able to be wheeled around.

One long shelf that I can deploy on a wall. I'm not doing a sink. I have a big utility sink in the utility room 20' away.

Funky galvanized corrugated steel ceiling. I'm also installing retractable wind screen panels on barn door tracks so I can use my 007 on windy days. This kitchen is next to an L-Shaped Pergola.

Now I'm mostly figuring out storage for grates and supplies.

I dont know how high your ceilings are but I hung hollow tube grates as storage.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/61909

Used these with some threaded rod. Its below my head level which was all I cared about.

Jrogers

Very helpful post. Thank you for that. I never knew such a fitting existed.

Great idea about the hollow tube grates. Ceiling will be maybe 12', so I have the height to do such a thing.

My wife's family are builders. They have been doing alot of patios similar to this picture. High ceilings, which keep the smoke stains off for the most part. And notice the 3/4 wall. Great wind block, and has a place for the smoke to escape.

Obviously, they aren't building them with that in mind, but of course my mind goes there as soon as I see it.

WQlYhxRh.png

I went simple and plain - poured a slab and had a roof put over it. I had a high volume exhaust fan installed on the roof to remove the smoke. I have a work bench, a portable table and a shelf unit in it. I just wish it was larger, but I didn't want to extend beyond the perimeter of the house.

iC94m58h.jpg

I”m in a similar planning situation. BBQ Coach has some great looking modules that go together with simple screws that look interesting. The BBQ guys down in Baton Rouge have a great show area but all that nice stuff ($) but if you purchase something from them I “THINK” they will help do a computerized layout. Either way I’m going to have a nice cooking area, my present one is so small and cluttered and hard to keep clean it might do me in!!!!!!!

Back