THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lot of people have no aptitude(or desire) for making stuff. So, why try to shove the square peg in the round hole? I have loved to make stuff, figure out how things work, etc. my whole life. If I didn't have that aptitude I would buy a UDS from one of my neighbors (like me) who likes to make stuff...

^^^^ I agree with you to some extent, Marty. I personally like adding more skills to my repertoire.

I do not know how to weld, so when I built my double barrel smoker, I traded some tri-tips to a welder who was a friend of a friend in exchange for some welding.

But seeing what he did, and realizing that welding is akin to soldering (a skill I picked up with junk boards my company was throwing away), I am going to try my hand at it sometime.

Everyone has a skill lets face it even the most adept person still needs help doing something or have to pay someone to do something. Dont cut yourself short just cause you cant build a smoker or a house.

Coming from a long line of men that worked with their hands, I feel useless. However, I did replace my dishwasher. That felt good.

As soon as I get a house with some room I plan to take up welding and will try to find a class or at least someone proficient to teach me. Just one of many things that interest me but time, money and space reduce my ability to pursue these hobbies.

If you need some encouragement, just know that I am finishing my first build with no welding, just drilling, sanding and painting. Heck I even skipped the burn out by buying a reconditioned drum. Good luck!

Coming from a long line of men that worked with their hands, I feel useless. However, I did replace my dishwasher. That felt good.

I am in a similar situation Tim. My grandfather was a shadetree engineer and my old man, while not to that level definitely did a lot of projects himself. I wish in my youth I paid more attention and offered to help but it is what it is....I was a stupid kid.

That said I like playing with circuits and electronics so I try to do what I can on my own. Between having a multimeter and the internet I was able to fix both my dryer and refrigerator. For the most part the only thing I really don't like dealing with myself is NG / water line issues (just not comfortable working with piping) and roof / trees (never was good with heights / balance).

Beyond that I like working with my hands however my current house is not conducive to having an effective workshop. I have no basement, no garage and no real workspaces.

I have no basement, no garage and no real workspaces.

Yea, that pretty well seals your fate for building much.
My recommendation would be to sell the house, move to the country where you can have sheds, garages, outbuildings and such, and start your new life as a hands-on kinda guy.

Just a thought. :becky:

My recommendation would be to sell the house, move to the country where you can have sheds, garages, outbuildings and such, and start your new life as a hands-on kinda guy.

That's the plan...just need to get rid of the double mortgage payment (aka 2 kids in day care).

Plan to move out to the country (relatively speaking, "country" in NJ is still more industrialized / dense than probably 80% of the rest of the US).

Hopefully have enough property to start partaking in some of these hobbies everyone else enjoys.

When I built my first smoker I had no skills. I have a buddy who helped get me started and away I went. I had my fair share of screw ups, but as my buddy always told me, "It'll buff!". A little grinding and some welding and some more grinding and you can erase most mistakes. The biggest obsticle is usually fear. Just go for it.

You could also go to a neighbor's house and do it.

I don't know exactly when I built my first smoker - but if I had to guess I was about 12. My father was a rancher (which meant he had a day job too). We needed to maintain some stuff, so I bought a welder and found a class at our local HS for adults (and brought me to class with him). We got some practice bits so I could work on my beads at home, and a week latter I was repairing farm stuff. By the end of the month I asked him if I could build him a BBQ pit. We went to the metal yard and had them do the cutting, all I did was simple assembly.

I am about 45, and the pit is still in the back yard. I don't use it much though, it is NOT set and forget. I am tempted, however to re-weld the fire box - as the rest of it is still tight, and I could easily put a stoker on it and keep on smoking. It would only be out of nastalga though - I have a UDS, will finish a MUDS this weekend, and hope to get a BGE shortly.

If you live in a city, look to see if your community college offers classes. There is a good chance that if they do, they might also offer practice facilities. Informal classes might be ok to get an idea how to start, but if you look, you can probably find either vocational or art classes that go far past that.

I have an good mechanical background and am good with tools, for me it is the time mostley. I do plan in the near future of building a 250 gal. offset cooker some day, maybe during my retirement years. But I agree with others, we can all learn, just get some tools and dive in.

You could also go to a neighbor's house and do it.

True, but I was picturing an urban area where his neighbors had about the same type of property layout.

Now...if you'll excuse me....I'm going to step outside and pee off my front deck since nobody can see me.
Then I'll go out back and shoot some guns while I burn the brush pile over on the south lawn.

I love the country. :becky:

True, but I was picturing an urban area where his neighbors had about the same type of property layout.

Now...if you'll excuse me....I'm going to step outside and pee off my front deck since nobody can see me.
Then I'll go out back and shoot some guns while I burn the brush pile over on the south lawn.

I love the country. :becky:

Yeah, and for the most part yuppies who disdain manual labor.

I can pretty much guarantee that within a 3 house radius from mine you will not find A) a welding machine of any type, B) a table saw, or C) a bandsaw.

Back