I went down the Kamado Rabbit Hole

I have both a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and a Green Mountain pellet grill. I enjoy both, but the Weber receives more usage. To address the air flow issues mentioned in previous posts, I tend to cook around 275 degrees versus the lower temps and have been happier with the outcomes (and decreased cook times for pork butts). The advantages of the Weber (or other Kamados) over the pellet grill includes:

- Versatility - easy to use on long, slow cooks or as a traditional backyard kettle charcoal grill

- No electricity needed - on a couple of cooks with the pellet grill, I had electricity briefly interrupted and had to reset the grill. Imagine this going unnoticed on a long brisket cook (now I always use an additional grill thermometer to alert me of temp swings).

- Searing - my Green Mountain Grill info states I can sear a steak at 500, but it's just not the same as flame kissed searing on the Weber. Some pellet grills have better searing options.

- Two zone cooking - unable to do on the pellet grill

Pellet grills are still great products and entry level cost is typically much less than the big name kamados.

Below are advantages the Weber has over ceramic kamados:

- Lightweight & portability - easy to move around the yard or deck; not difficult to load on truck (try doing that with a 300 lb Kamado)

- No additional accessories necessary to enjoy full capability of grill. Perhaps not an advantage over KJ as they come pretty loaded with accessories.

- Works great with both briquettes and lump charcoal

- Lighter fluid will not ruin grill. I NEVER use it, but if somehow someone thought it was a good idea, the grill does not absorb it as a ceramic kamado would.

The Weber does have a gas assist lighting feature, but I don't use it and will not list it as an advantage. I find it easier to use a chimney. In fact, a model without the gas assist would be more desirable. The MSRP of $1599 is negotiable. I paid $1200 for mine. If interested, you may need to contact Weber to find dealers that carry this model.

Baby Back Maniac has multiple video reviews of the Weber. He owns all the kamados listed in this thread, and claims the Weber is his favorite.

Man my Primio Xl was my gateway BBQ drug and it still keeps me coming back for more after about 9 years or so.

I’ve never had a UDS so cant give much on that.

I went through the stale smoke phase everybody talks about on the primo but soon figured it out. Just don’t use too much or too large of pieces of wood and start with a chimney of fully lit lump. I also like to use only about the amount of lump I’ll need to complete the cook.

No I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if you take the time to learn your Komodo cooker. There are huge advantages to these over many other styles of cookers.

I’ve owned kettles, couple of green eggs, weber summit charcoal. I just didn’t like the weber summit, it would never burn as clean as my eggs. Now I use my hasty bake and sold off the kamado’s.

I have been cooking on a Primo XL Oval for over 10 years. It is a versatile pit. Great at high temp cooks. Can make a mean paella. Pizza? Of course. Slow smoked BBQ? Good, but not great. As mentioned before, he very sparing with smoking wood. I have gone as far as to only use lump charcoal with no wood chunks at all.

If you are only going to have 1 cooker, a Kamado is a good choice

I have a Weber Summit charcoal grilling center and it was my favorite grill until I got the pellet pooper a couple months ago. I have mine outfitted with a CyberQ controller. I went with the Weber because I store it in the garage and I can see myself knocking over a ceramic cooker trying to get it over the 1.5" drop from the garage to the driveway. Definitely isn't nice to look at as a Komodo Kamado though.

So let's say cost not a factor would guys still go for the KK over the Weber or is it just a really pretty looking grill?

No. Not unless I knew I loved the way a ceramic cooker cooked or the space I needed would I spring for the small/19” KK for $3k.

But for 1/2 the price of the KK I’d go Primo xl, xl BGE or KJ and find out. Especially over the equally priced summit.

Also, 19x17” for the 19” KK seems too small for the way I cook on my primo xl.

The 19x24” primo xl lets you cook indirect without a bunch of accessories.

So let's say cost not a factor would guys still go for the KK over the Weber or is it just a really pretty looking grill?

Cost aside, and if I knew I wasn’t going to need to move it around, I’d go with the KK. It’s exceptionally well built. Don’t think it cooks better than a Kamado Joe but the construction is significantly better. Again, assuming no moving it around, I prefer the ceramics to the Weber - which at least partially comes down to looks.

I would think about the 19” KK vs the larger size of the Weber though. I had the 18.5” KJ and it’s tight on things like a brisket. I’d rather have a Kamado Big Joe (or probably the Weber) than the smaller KK.

This post is less than 30 days old so it doesn't count as thread necromancy if I resurrect it now, does it?? I'ma go for it.

I went through this about a year ago and made the choice to go with the Weber Summit Charcoal. I'd cast my vote for that cooker. Why?

* Lighter weight and easier to roll around
* That gas ignition is actually quite handy
* Steel parts won't crack
* Takes lump or briquettes
* Ash removal system is a breeze
* Quite price competitive compared to the BGE XL and KJBJ when you include the accessories
* Great temperature stability but also easier to cool down if you overshoot

I absolutely don't regret my purchase. BUT.... I do realize now that I'd probably be just as happy with either a BGE or KJ, too. Why?

* The add-ons and third party accessories for the BGE and KJ are a bit more compelling. Fun toys.
* The Summit Charcoal is a real honker and I probably could have gotten away with a KJ classic or L BGE. I've definitely used all 24" of the grate before but that's more the exception than the rule. On the plus side, this thing sips on charcoal like a fine scotch.
* There's just something about the look of a kamado grill that frankly feels more high end than the Summit. Not that this thing isn't a looker in its own right, but I don't see it as a status symbol in quite the same way. You're not going to see it featured in any the outdoor section of any design magazines.

So there you have it. It's not the answer you want but it's the honest truth. The fact is, all these grills are just awesome.

If money isn't an option I'd push you toward the komodo kamado. Like others have said, the workmanship is top notch. It's a real "F- you" grill.

One other point: not to veer too far off topic, but others have also mentioned pellet smokers. Just do some reading and check them out. If I had electricity in my back area I'd probably be running a pellet grill right now. Again, no buyers remorse here, but they could be the best fit for you depending on your needs and preferences.

If money isn't an option I'd push you toward the komodo kamado. Like others have said, the workmanship is top notch. It's a real "F- you"..............

Lol...that’s awesome...and I agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Of the equipment in my sig...If I could only have/keep one it would be the Primo.
Hands down the most versatile of them all.

Of the equipment in my sig...If I could only have/keep one it would be the Primo.
Hands down the most versatile of them all.

I’m not sure I could even stomach the thought of what you’ve just said. I would feel like Job.... but I think I would probably have to make the same choice....

I’m just thankful we’re not faced with such difficult real life decisions.

BTW I think the OP already moved on with a PG.

So break down the Weber Summit option....its still 1600+ dollars so what brings it into the convoy? Honest question cause I'm looking at buying something that I. Ight pass on to my kiddos

No cracked ceramics or gasket replacements with the Summit. There is a reason for that lifetime guarantee. You will use it.

Uses an air pocket instead of stone to hold heat.

Customer Service second to none and Yes you will be able to pass it on to your Children.

I've looked at the same options as you have, My next one will be a Weber Summit.

Check out this honest review from a fellow Brethren - Baby Back Maniac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glt8Jn2MKgU

Just my .02 and Good Luck with whatever you choose. :thumb:

Back