I was hoping I would never be one of these....

bggarric

Knows what a fatty is.
but my fire went out last night!:doh: I had the maverick in and had the grill set for btwn 205 and 300. Had my meat tempt set for alarm at 190. Guess somehow I disabled the alarm function?

at around 530 am the internal was something in 160s or 170s. Grill was 250. Felt good. WEnt back to bed. Actually temps were so good then that I set my alarm for a little later. WOke up at 920 this AM; Meat temp 140. Grill like 105.

So mad. I have a group of 20 coming around 2pm today and I'm doing chicken wings too so all is not lost. I put the meat in the oven and will try to save it for just me.

WHat do yout hink about serving it? Read a couple of other threads and most say if it got up to 160s/170s then its fine but I just feel uncomfortable potentially making anyone sick. Will probably buy some hot dogs to serve w the chicken wings and do another butt to hopefully have done tonight... might buy a smaller one and hope its a 1 hr per pound butt.

Thanks guys. More of a vent than a question...

Yep, finish it in the oven and serve it. 140 is the low end of safe temperatures but it's good. Your good.

I agree with SDAR. It's probably fine. If you finish it in the oven, the internal temperature will probably hit around 200. That should be sufficient to kill any bacteria that may have formed. I am usually pretty cautious with stuff like that but I think you'll be ok.

IT is often irrelevant, especially in your case. It is the outside of the meat where the baddies lie. In your case, those were all killed off long time ago. I would serve and eat that without hesitation.

Should I wrap in the oven? Don't have a great bark yet... smells delicious though....

Went into crisis mode right after writing this.. Have (2) 6.5lbers on the smoker at 300 now hoping they'll be 1-1.15hr/lbers. Never can tell. Might be done quick. Might not. Either way I'll have lots of Q for later. Bought some hot dogs as backup. Still nervous about serving it. Will likely serve with a disclaimer....

See I'm a very nervous guy. Now I'm wondering if perhaps the grill was 140 this AM and the meat was 107? I don't think so at all. If I remember correctly the meat was already 140 last night before I even went to bed after a couple of hours.

Wrap it and get into the oven, you'll be fine especially since you are returning to heat greater than pasteurization temperatures again.

Back