I wanted steel traps for Pit thieves but got a chain instead

Nice chain.
Will the smoker be chained to something solid? Thieves backed a truck with winch up to the gas well behind my house and loaded up the motor and most of the pump jack in no time.
I hate thieves.

Yes, it’s attached to a cement footer that’s 4 feet into the ground.

Last edited:
I guess rolling the smoker into the garage when you’re not using it must not be an option then, given a chain of that magnitude?

That’s what I’ve done up until this point, but adds extra work and time at the end of a long cook. I’ll use the chain when I have a long brisket cook and want to set up the night before the long cook or leave it outside after the cook. I dread cleaning the hot coals out, letting it cool, and then rolling it up my hilly driveway after a 16 hour cook.

This chain is designed so it can’t be cut by bolt cutters. It’ has a square profile and it’s hardened stronger than bolt cutters. The chain basically destroys bolt cutters, sawzalls, and any other tool besides angle grinders. There’s some good YouTube videos testing it. You can definitely get through it, but it will slow any thief long enough for me to notice.

This post is not helping my desire to buy something that I absolutely do not need…

I have the harbor freight driveway alarms in several places around my house. Painted so they dont stand out and you cain't see the red light. Notifies me inside but nothing outside. Which did cause me to shoot through garage the one time somebody got inside it.

Thanks for sharing! That means the average fool around here would take at least 3 minutes to pick it, if they could even do that. I just need to slow them down by a few minutes so the camera picks up the motion and I can initiate phase 2 of the security plan :-D

If it takes the LockPickingLawyer 55 seconds and he says at the end that it was difficult, I don't think anyone looking to steal a smoker will be able to pick it.

Looks like a good purchase.

I was super skeptical of the claim that "this chain breaks bolt cutters" but wow...after looking up some videos (not made by WestTech) this claim is pretty well substantiated.

This sucks that you have to go to these kinds of lengths, but unfortunately people just suck sometimes. I've come across people who will steal something simply because they are able to do so, and they will fault the owner of the property for not securing it better.

Back