**I tried Pitmaster Donnie T's Night Train Brisket Experiment**

Hmmm, I'm with crue on this one. I like Funk's posts. Alway entertaining and informative. The whole point of the original thread was to find the perfect brisket texture by first doing it in an oven (via funk's procedure), then remembering that texture and aiming for that texture via the smoker. with foil or not....doesn't matter....the texture is the thing.

And a great big thank you to swamprb for this thread and posting his results.

Eric Burdon and the briskits

Does he really live in Lake Hills ??? and is a painter??? I wonder how many peaple know who the "Nightstalker" ---Darren is???
Briskits look great. Have to try this method some rainy weekend--

OK-I read the thread, listened and absorbed the videos, and decided to try the Camel Walk myself!
This was hard for me, I mean to cook a brisket in the oven? When I have an arsenal of smokers at my disposal? WTF!! I agonized the last couple days, I thought to myself, I'll cook it in the Egg or Bullet and use the Guru at 275*, and maybe just let it get a little smoke before I foil it-but then that would defeat the pupose of the lesson. I gave into the FUNK!

My wife picked up two trimmed Choice Brisket Flats @3.5-4lbs each from Costco-I had her pick them out.(thrifty Mom mod) She has been bugging me to use Celery Salt and Black pepper on a Brisket since the first comp she had attended in Seattle and tried a sample some guy from Chicago cooking on WSM's handed out. I will grant that wish!

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

No trimming-they were small enough! 2 sheets of foil, rolled into a packet then into a preheated 275* OVEN and set the time for 4 hours.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

Now, I've been meaning to try a High Heat Brisket cook for Flats. They are easy to come by and Costco always has Choice. So I took the larger of the two and rubbed it with Bovine Bold and fired up the WSM with Stubb's Briqs and Pecan chunks.

IMG_0100.jpg

Smoked for 2 hours at 225-250* dome, then melted 2T Butter in 1/4C Apple Juice and poured it over the flat and wrapped in foil, raised the temp of the Bullet to 350-370* for 2 hours.

The flats were done about the same time, the oven rested @1 hour, while the WSM flat @30min. I probed them through the foil and they were 200-205* internal. Oven on the Left, WSM on the Right.

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Under the broiler to crispy up the fatcap.

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Night Train-Leaving the Station!

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Bovine Bold-Funky Drummer!

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

The Night Train was like buttah! It tasted like BEEF, pot roast fall apart tender, WTF!! I LOVED IT! (notice how I say LOVED IT?)

The Funky Drummer is what the Judges might have liked, my kids all devoured it on sliced bread sammiches. The smoke ring is nice, the spice mix is great, I sliced it thick and the thinner slices would probably get me decent scores. I think I would cooler it longer at a comp and inject it, but for my first virgin attempt it came out great!

I'm like Darrin McGavin in "The Christmas Story" always peekin' and tastin' the turkey. So the whole idea of setting the Night Train flat in the oven and walking away was a hard pill to swallow. I don't cook many packers, and my attempts at smoking flats have been so-so to shoe leather. This was a good lesson, as I have never knelt before any of the Texas BBQ altars, these two cuts of beef rival any I've eaten before.

Try it yourself and see-Give in to the FUNK!!!

Oh have I come a long way since this post!

Oh have I come a long way since this post!

Well, your original post got me interested in fast cooking a flat in my UDS. It's in there now, but I've had a slight problem keeping the 350-370 temp for these last two hours. Working at keeping it stable, and we'll see how she turns out! Thanks for the inspiration to do this. I've read Funk's posts, but reading your gave me the nudge I needed.

Back