I need some opinions on a trailer....etc (LONG)

T

The Bengal Thing

Here is the info:

Concession trailer made from an old pop-up camper, frame was re-done by a sheet metal fabricator….with aluminum. It has a canopy on the outside that is fitted with 2 outriggers on each side. The trailer is 8'x11' and the canopy 10’ by 10’. Here is a picture:

011500010200010409200807042c4adc-1.jpg

Included = 3 turkey fryers in the counter, 3 woks, 3 propane tanks, 3 spare tires, a small freezer (very small he said) and a hot water heater. Pots, pans…. etc

3 component sink, waste water tank

It is brand new and never used, the guy and his Dad built it and he doesn’t have time to use it. The only thing it needs is some “finishing up” to adhere to the health board inspection...etc. The sinks aren’t “hooked up”, they need some plumbing work to get them to function as they should. They are just included, not attached. Needs shielded lights…etc to pass inspection.

$2500

It sounds pretty sweet. The guy said he is a master chef and I told him I was new to the business,….he said he would offer advice and stuff.

OK..... so now for why I want this. I have been thinking of several different things latelyt which got me started looking into concession trailers. The firts reason was for my tailgate party for the Bengals games. I was wanting a vehicle like avan or something, but couldn't quite fan exactly what I wanted and for the price I wanted.

I have also been on a mission to prepare for my future and try to maybe start up a business....etc

Then I found this site and got to thinking that I may try to make a go of concessions/catering/maybe a store at some point. However, I am a total noob at anything related to starting a business.... etc.

Anyway, this trailer seems to be a good price and a decent step into seeing if I would even like the world of concessions. It isn't going to break the bank (not that $2500 is anything to sneeze at, but compared to most of what is out there.... not bad).

I figure I can get this... try it out at the football games to se ewhat I may need and if I like to cook for people...etc. Then see what happens for maybe starting up a weekend gig where I can make a little money. Starting of super slow with like hot dogs , ice cream and pop. Nothing elaborate.

I have read all the threads on here and know when/if I get "serious" about the business side, I need a good business plan and all that. I am not there yet, but I thought maybe this would make a good entry level type step into it.

Please let me know what you think about the trailer and anything else you feel the need to say.

I am going to try and go see it this weekend.... so be on the look out for updated pics and thoughts from seeing it up close and personal.

Thanks

Crawl under it and take a look at the axles and hubs. If you plan to pull it at highway speeds or for a long distance the wheels and tires look a little small. Ask if they've had the trailer weighed, and if so how much it weighs. Check state regs on registration etc...

What do you plan to pull it with? Can your tow vehicle handle the load? Can the existing, if any, hitch handle it? Are you willing to pay the extra $ in fuel cost to pull it around?

That's a short list.

As someone who vends, I can tell you that running a concession from an open air rig is a royal pain in the ass. Heat, cold, rain, wind, bugs will have their way with you. At the end of the day when you are tired and beat you have to tear down wet canvas and pack everything away. If the event lasts more than a day you'll have theft problems if you leave an open rig unattended overnight.

My advice is save the $2500, try vending with an EasyUp and a folding tables a few times. Believe it or not most health depts will pay a lot less attention to you than if you had a trailer. After a handful of shows if you think you want to pursue vending further, buy an enclosed trailer equipped with not only the kitchenware you need but the niceties to make vending more comfortable and the advertising to make it profitable.

Included = 3 turkey fryers in the counter, 3 woks, 3 propane tanks, 3 spare tires, a small freezer (very small he said) and a hot water heater. Pots, pans…. etc

3 component sink, waste water tank

It is brand new and never used, the guy and his Dad built it and he doesn’t have time to use it. The only thing it needs is some “finishing up” to adhere to the health board inspection...etc. The sinks aren’t “hooked up”, they need some plumbing work to get them to function as they should. They are just included, not attached. Needs shielded lights…etc to pass inspection.

$2500

Just my opinion, but what here is usuable for vending??
3 woks and 3 spares??
it's a lot of money for not even working yet, maybe plumbing isin't hooked because it's not a feasable system?
You'll still have to drag a smoker along for cooking...
You can pick up a nice enclosed unit for that price and build it the way you want.

Paint some stripes on it and it looks like it could be a fun little thing for tailgating, but then when it's time to go into the game everything would have to be put away before walking away.

I've never vended, but I'd guess it would be headache to vend out of it. I don't think I would want to compete out of it.

He doesn't have time to use it ... I think that's code for it's not very functional.

Check with your health department. That wouldn't meet HD requirements here.

I have glanced at the health department list, and it seems to comply (I haven't go over it in depth). The guy tol dme of the issues that needed to be addressed before it woul dpass as well (The plumbing to the sinks, and sheilded lights)

There is a 4th hand wash sink.....

Crawl under it and take a look at the axles and hubs. If you plan to pull it at highway speeds or for a long distance the wheels and tires look a little small. Ask if they've had the trailer weighed, and if so how much it weighs. Check state regs on registration etc...

What do you plan to pull it with? Can your tow vehicle handle the load? Can the existing, if any, hitch handle it? Are you willing to pay the extra $ in fuel cost to pull it around?

That's a short list.

That is good advice. I know it was an old pop-up camper frame, so I assumed it would travel well, but with the modification it would be something to look/ask about

As someone who vends, I can tell you that running a concession from an open air rig is a royal pain in the ass. Heat, cold, rain, wind, bugs will have their way with you. At the end of the day when you are tired and beat you have to tear down wet canvas and pack everything away. If the event lasts more than a day you'll have theft problems if you leave an open rig unattended overnight.

My advice is save the $2500, try vending with an EasyUp and a folding tables a few times. Believe it or not most health depts will pay a lot less attention to you than if you had a trailer. After a handful of shows if you think you want to pursue vending further, buy an enclosed trailer equipped with not only the kitchenware you need but the niceties to make vending more comfortable and the advertising to make it profitable.

You touched on one of my other main concerns here and that is that as of yet, I don't have anything to tow it with. I am also looking into the kind of vehicle I want that will address all my other needs as well. I will likely get a smaller truck that will allow for decent towing

I am not sure I canb afford all that to start, and the

Just my opinion, but what here is usuable for vending??
3 woks and 3 spares??
it's a lot of money for not even working yet, maybe plumbing isin't hooked because it's not a feasable system?
You'll still have to drag a smoker along for cooking...
You can pick up a nice enclosed unit for that price and build it the way you want.

I am not sure what your question is. You can cook a LOT in woks, it also has turkey friers. The spares are TIRES.... in case the tires fail. What I was mainly needed is something that will allow for the storage/refrigeration/freezing/...etc involved. As I mentioned it would be a COMPLET STARTER set up to see if I would even be able to pull it off at all or if it my cup of tee. I stated that I would likely start VERY slow and just do hot dogs, ice cream, and drinks to start. I mainly just wanted something a little more presentable than doing that out of a van.

I thought for $2500 it wasn't a bad price at all.

I really don't have the extra money to spend to buy something and fix it up. I kind of need somethingt that is pretty much ready to go.

I would keep looking,, we picked up a used salvation army canteen truck, and all we need to do too it to pass our health dept codes is remove the 2 sink system and put in a 4 sink system, Its got service windows on both sides, 4 burner griddle, 2 stock pot burners, hitch for the smoker, Lots of cabinets, onboard generator, runs all the electric outlets, flourescent lights inside and out. And we picked it up for $1,000. and its only got 25,000 miles on it. good luck in what you do,,,just besure it really is worht the investment..

I would keep looking,, we picked up a used salvation army canteen truck, and all we need to do too it to pass our health dept codes is remove the 2 sink system and put in a 4 sink system, Its got service windows on both sides, 4 burner griddle, 2 stock pot burners, hitch for the smoker, Lots of cabinets, onboard generator, runs all the electric outlets, flourescent lights inside and out. And we picked it up for $1,000. and its only got 25,000 miles on it. good luck in what you do,,,just besure it really is worht the investment..

Whoa....where did you score that!?

Seems like there are too many IFs here and $2500 isn't even your final cost.

Beyond the equipment concerns, my main issue is proper food storage. How are you going to keep your meats and perishables cool and food safe? Especially if you're onsite for the whole day and it's blazing hot. Food poisoning is nasty - it'll get you a bad rap and bring the HD down on you so fast you won't know what hit you.

Also, better look into what kind of license and/or food safety certificate requirements are needed to operate as a food vendor in your area. Some cities assign vendor contracts by lottery so you may be SOL for popular and high-traffic areas.

Some other things to think about: Do you have prior experience in the fast food biz? Usually involves long hours. Are you and/or your wife prepared to spend entire days vending? What's the menu? Figure out your costs (food, fuel, site rent, licenses, etc.) and work out how much you have to sell each day just to break even. Factor in spoilage too. Good luck.

Whoa....where did you score that!?
Just happen to notice it sitting in alot behind a body shop,, stopped and talk to the shop owner about it, he bought it to use at little league games, but only used it once then parked it,, didn't have time for it,,made me an offer I couldn't refuse,,, I'll try and post some pics of it,,I'm pretty proud of it,, it was a sweet deal.

Seems like there are too many IFs here and $2500 isn't even your final cost.

Beyond the equipment concerns, my main issue is proper food storage. How are you going to keep your meats and perishables cool and food safe? Especially if you're onsite for the whole day and it's blazing hot. Food poisoning is nasty - it'll get you a bad rap and bring the HD down on you so fast you won't know what hit you.

Also, better look into what kind of license and/or food safety certificate requirements are needed to operate as a food vendor in your area. Some cities assign vendor contracts by lottery so you may be SOL for popular and high-traffic areas.

Some other things to think about: Do you have prior experience in the fast food biz? Usually involves long hours. Are you and/or your wife prepared to spend entire days vending? What's the menu? Figure out your costs (food, fuel, site rent, licenses, etc.) and work out how much you have to sell each day just to break even. Factor in spoilage too. Good luck.

I do have prior fast food experience, and have a friend who was an event coordinator for a resturaunt that did festivals every weekend. I knwo the hours. There is a freezer and a fridge..... I am pretty sure I put that in there, that will keep the meats and perishables cool and food safe right.

That is the thing....$2500 is NOT the final cost, but it is a cheaper non final cost than $6000. This is going to be a process for me. I am not going to buy this tomorrow and then start my business on Monday. The main FIRST purpose of this will be for Cincinnati Bengals football game that don't start for about 2 months. Then I will try to ease my way into vending..... like I said starting with EASY stuff like hot dogs, ice ceam, and drinks. I can't imagine that would be all that difficult to keep safe and food safe and all.

Just happen to notice it sitting in alot behind a body shop,, stopped and talk to the shop owner about it, he bought it to use at little league games, but only used it once then parked it,, didn't have time for it,,made me an offer I couldn't refuse,,, I'll try and post some pics of it,,I'm pretty proud of it,, it was a sweet deal.

man, that is sweet! hops i can find something like that

I don't like it. Main reason is the canopy doesn't even cover the thing. That is a health department no-no right there. Even if it weren't, it will not keep rain out.

I really think that you would be far ahead of the game by saving your money on this one and waiting.

I wouldn't for the reasons that have been stated by people with far more experience than I have. But, I notice by your answers, you are set on buying it. So, good luck on your venture and let us know how it turns out.

I don't like it. Main reason is the canopy doesn't even cover the thing. That is a health department no-no right there. Even if it weren't, it will not keep rain out.

I really think that you would be far ahead of the game by saving your money on this one and waiting.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself. he said the canopy is adjustable.... so maybe it was just set up that way for the pic.

I wouldn't for the reasons that have been stated by people with far more experience than I have. But, I notice by your answers, you are set on buying it. So, good luck on your venture and let us know how it turns out.

NO, I am not set on buying it... that is for sure.

I haven't even seen it in person yet. It is just one of the nicest (for the price) I have found.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself. he said the canopy is adjustable.... so maybe it was just set up that way for the pic.

Well, I don't think there is anyway at all that you can get a 11' long trailor under a 10 x 10 canopy. I have seen odd dimension canopies that could take it's place.

Here is are some 12 x 12 versions that would work better. but the $100 one is crap you would need the $500 one or replace it all the time.

http://www.canopycenter.com/canopies/12-x-12/353+366+4294950944.cfm

That would solve that problem.

I still don't like the open air for vending. Maybe you could just get yourself an enclosed trailor to start with to haul around for tail-gating. You could just cram some of the gear that you already have in it to use, then you could lock everything away. Doing this would allow you to do a few tail-gate type things and give you an idea of the equipment that you really need and you could probably then just retrofit that trailor the way you need to.

Well, I don't think there is anyway at all that you can get a 11' long trailor under a 10 x 10 canopy. I have seen odd dimension canopies that could take it's place.

Here is are some 12 x 12 versions that would work better. but the $100 one is crap you would need the $500 one or replace it all the time.

http://www.canopycenter.com/canopies/12-x-12/353+366+4294950944.cfm

That would solve that problem.

I still don't like the open air for vending. Maybe you could just get yourself an enclosed trailor to start with to haul around for tail-gating. You could just cram some of the gear that you already have in it to use, then you could lock everything away. Doing this would allow you to do a few tail-gate type things and give you an idea of the equipment that you really need and you could probably then just retrofit that trailor the way you need to.

Yeah, I have though of this as well...... I just haven't seen much for sale that would work. I am also not very handy to do that type of work myself.

The search continues.....

I would say pass on this one too. From a consumer perspective, it does not look professional. Nothing about it makes me say, Wow, they must have good food there. Does not draw me in. Not much room for signage and menu either.

I also would not buy a trailer that was not enclosed. Weather, security, and lack of storage would all be problems IMHO. .02 MMV

Back