THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaggy

Found some matches.
Altogether it’s about 72” wide, 36” deep (the shelf is fixed) and the stack is 56ish inches tall.

The Oklahoma Joe cover works probably in all but width, as the shelf on that pit folds.

The Old Country Brazil’s/Pecos cover works on depth but the Brazos pit is 8” shorter.

It’s possible that either of the above could work, if there’s enough slack in them, I was wondering if any of you had any first hand experience covering a custom pit with more than a tarp.

There is a vynil cover from charbroil on amazon that will probably fit, but every review says it’s a solid as a cheap rain poncho and is best avoided.

New pit is 18” diameter, 36” chamber, 18” firebox, plus added width from the handle/smokestack and firebox handles. 1/4” steel, weighs a ton. Have not got to fire it up yet.

Last edited:
A custom cover is nice for sure but it depends on the material used. UV protection is important too. Looks like you have it under a covered patio. Don't use a cheap blue tarp.

Looks like Smokiemon has a solution.

I do know the difference in how long they last with cover vs no cover. Probably 5 times longer.

Good Luck!

Other Brethern suggested them, they reinforce areas with protrusions.. UV rated and mold resistant... They use Sunbrella material so you can pick from any color.

And it’s like a 10 year warranty.

I think I am dimensionally very close to a standard Wichita, however the only covers I’ve seen for that pit require the stack be removed or flipped or something- not an option for me. I’ll take a look at grillwraps, are they very expensive?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think I am dimensionally very close to a standard Wichita, however the only covers I’ve seen for that pit require the stack be removed or flipped or something- not an option for me. I’ll take a look at grillwraps, are they very expensive?

Thanks

Fairly pricey... But like anything else you get what you pay for... Hope it helps, Bill can get you a quote I am sure just shoot him an email..

I have a LSG horizontal offset and use said Charbroil cover from Amazon. I agree it's cheap and not made to last. However, those aren't necessarily bad qualities. I'm on my second cover and couldn't be happier going the route I did. For the cost of a custom cover, I could buy the charbroil cover SEVERAL times over. As it stands, the first Charbroil lasted me a good 3 years before needing replacement. Only reason I had to replace it was bc of a tear created by it catching on a sharp edge. It never lost its protective ability (kept rain and sun damage out).

I bought this one for my bayou classic and it was perfect. I also have 3 of the chair covers for my drums. Super durable, thick material. I find most smoker covers are not good for covering smokers :-D
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W46XTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

McXoKj1l.png

While they are not necessarily perfect "form fitting" the durability for the price is amazing.

Wow scared me for a minute! :shock: I thought Smitty bought a new pit!!
Then I noticed same avatar, different name. All is good again!!
Congrats on the new cooker Jaggy! :mrgreen:

Well the custom cover is $460, which is 40% of what the pit cost so I’m gonna pass on that. I can get 23 Char-Broil covers for that price and I doubt I’ll go through more then 3 or 4 in a decade at most.

That bench cover looks real good too. Thanks.

Back