THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok -- I do crazy things at contests, I admit it. My first taste of a SRF brisket sold me on them. I've cooked them ever since and never once practiced with one at home. Yes, using SRF costs money up front, but top 10 brisket calls 5 out of 10 contests this year makes it worth it, IMO. I cook any brisket the same way (obviously!).

If I can ask w/out getting too personal, are you using the recipe in your book for those Wagyu briskets? I have only used one in a comp so far, but that score was worse than my RD choice briskets.

Yes. Everything in the book is from scratch and in comps I usually use commercial products but the flavors are pretty similar.

Four 1st place brisket calls in 7 comps this year.

Chris, I agree with that for a first timer, etc. But are you cooking Wagyu, prime or just choice. I have a neighbor in the meat business and he says prime brisket is a misnomer. Says to just go with choice. My Wagyu briskets have absolutely sucked to this point. I don't like them and the scores agree with that.

They grade a carcass, not the primal or the packer.

Back