I knew this was somewhere...

Jeff, I just got an email that I can now post. Did not realize that would be coming.
So, let me restate what I wanted to say earlier.

In response to the post asking about the number of votes required to remove a director:

The number of votes required to be elected and/or removed should clearly be outlined in the organizations by-laws. There are no overriding Missouri laws that I am aware of which dictate a certain percentage of votes.

The Bylaws may often be difficult to obtain, especially a board is trying to protect itself.

In a separate organization I was fortunate enough to have obtained a copy of their bylaws, while the board was arguing and attempting to remove the requirement that directors be natural persons. [MO 355.321. 1]

While a member should be allowed to inspect the bylaws, and the member list [MO 355.826], best of luck convincing a board who is trying to protect themselves.

Anyways, best of luck.

Edit: Sorry for any confusion:: This is in regards to another kansas city board.
Unfortunately, I am also having issues with another board who refuses to provide a list of members as required according to their very own by laws.
Thus, it is rather hard to in practice to do anything.
The other board is clearly out of control, and believe they have full authority.

I have not determined who to contact in this situation, but assume the states Attorney General and possibly the IRS are the prime concerned parties.
If anyone has any idea, please do let me know.

If you have any idea of further resources please do let me know.
And I will the likewise, upon hearing from you.

Last edited by a moderator:
.. it should clearly be indicated in the by-laws when elections will occur. whether a single board member, or the entire board is thrown out a procedure for electing new ones should be outlined.

I'm not sure about the MO law but, if we do away with the BOD, there would be no one to call for an election. Since we (the BOD) chose not to use RONR, then there would be no provisions for succession therefore, the organization would cease to exist and the funds would be required to be distributed to pay any and all debts and the remainer distributed to members of record. KCBS would cease to exist!

Jeff, I just got an email that I can now post. Did not realize that would be coming.
So, let me restate what I wanted to say earlier.

Unfortunately, I am having issues as the board refuses to provide a list of members as required according to their very own by laws.
Thus, it is rather hard to in practice to do anything.
The board is clearly out of control, and believe they have full authority.

I have not determined who to contact in this situation, but assume the states Attorney General and possibly the IRS are the prime concerned parties.
If anyone has any idea, please do let me know.

In response to the post asking about the number of votes required to remove a director:

The number of votes required to be elected and/or removed should clearly be outlined in the organizations by-laws. There are no overriding Missouri laws that I am aware of which dictate a certain percentage of votes.

The Bylaws may often be difficult to obtain, especially if the board is trying to protect itself.
I was fortunate enough to have obtained a copy, while the board was arguing and attempting to remove the requirement that directors be natural persons. [MO 355.321. 1]

While a member should be allowed to inspect the bylaws, and the member list [MO 355.826], best of luck convincing the board.

Anyways, best of luck.

If you have any idea of further resources please do let me know.
And I will the likewise, upon hearing from you.

Yes it will be hard to obtain a copy of the by-laws. We know that all members of the Board are bad people, who want everything to be in secret. Good thing that the BOD members don't know that the KCBS By-laws are posted on the KCBS website.

Seems that the BOD is more open that you might have thought. Sometimes its better to research than assume.

Merl

Yes it will be hard to obtain a copy of the by-laws. We know that all members of the Board are bad people, who want everything to be in secret. Good thing that the BOD members don't know that the KCBS By-laws are posted on the KCBS website.

Seems that the BOD is more open that you might have thought. Sometimes its better to research than assume.

Merl

They would also be available at the county Register of Deeds office, for someone without the web access.... but the website would seem to be the easiest place to get them. thanks for chiming in Merl.

I personally know exactly where the by-laws are located and I have a copy on my computer. I believe the person making the post you referenced is probably a new person and definitely new to the Brethren. Great response to him. I'm sure he respects a board member responding with such sarcasm.

Board members bad people? No, I wouldn't say that at all but, as an observer, you all just seem to bring out the worst in each other. Merl, you all just can't seem to get along and it's to the detriment of the entire organization. Let me ask you this... if barbecue and those serving the organization makes you so angry that attitudes towards one another are as they are, why do you (meaning all of you, not just you) even do it? Why not save yourselves the trouble and just say "screw it, let's let someone else have a shot at making things better"?

I've had a rough night personally and my mood is such that I just don't really care... I'm just going to call it how I see it and ask the questions that beg to be asked.

I personally know exactly where the by-laws are located and I have a copy on my computer. I believe the person making the post you referenced is probably a new person and definitely new to the Brethren. Great response to him. I'm sure he respects a board member responding with such sarcasm.

Board members bad people? No, I wouldn't say that at all but, as an observer, you all just seem to bring out the worst in each other. Merl, you all just can't seem to get along and it's to the detriment of the entire organization. Let me ask you this... if barbecue and those serving the organization makes you so angry that attitudes towards one another are as they are, why do you (meaning all of you, not just you) even do it? Why not save yourselves the trouble and just say "screw it, let's let someone else have a shot at making things better"?

I've had a rough night personally and my mood is such that I just don't really care... I'm just going to call it how I see it and ask the questions that beg to be asked.

I am calling it as I see it too... and the new member was a little harsh on "board" and plenty sarcastic, with the Good luck comments... and based on his comments about how he got the bylaws, he has been around KCBS long enough to have asked for them before.... as noted.

While Merl and I agree on some topics and disagree on others, I am still thankful he hopped in and pointed folks that might be looking for the bylaws to a place they could find them, and find them easily.

Now does sarcasm deserve sarcasm back, probably not -- but no one is perfect, and that is the exact reason I would never run for this board. It is thankless, and no one has a shot at being right. It is a no win.

Based on the last vote around the wired BBQ, which Candy took the time to post polls on, and get on the agenda - the fact that the board was unanimous in killing it, speaks more volumes to me... When 90% of the response in the public forums was positive towards the streaming.. and the public view of the royal and jack coverage was also all positive... but not one board member could vote the feelings of thier constituents. Pot shots betweens new Brethren members and Board members, just shows that feelings are a little high right now.... but general misinformation, as has been shared in another thread, and the general disregard for what KCBS members viewed as positive (Streaming the banquet) are more concerning to me. ya know?

Good question Jeff,
Why don't I just quit. I have spent five years trying to make this organization a member organization. When I was elected you could not attend a meeting yet call in.

Remember the minutes, they were minutes because all the details could be read in less than a minute.
Call in to listen to a BOD meeting, I don't think so.
Call in and speak to the Board, I don't think so.
Listen to a mp3 recording of a BOD meeting, I don't think so.
Read quick notes, I don't think so.
Read the By-laws, I don't think so.
Have the percentage of CBJ's on the event page, I don't think so.
Have the guranteed prize money listed on the event page, I dont think so.
Hold organizers accountable to pay prize money as advertised, I don't think so. (and to pay at least 5 places)
Have Board members who read the critiques, I don't think so.
Enforce rules and quiet hours, I don't think so.
Have 1st time licensed contest, I don't think so.
Have preferred promoter qualifications, I don't think so.

I could go on. Have most of those been a fight, Yes. Would I do it again? Yes I would. Am I proud of most issues which I have caused to be passed? Yes. Do I have regrets, certainly, who doesn't or who is correct all the time.

Jeff, you and I used to discuss issues, not always on the same side, but could find common ground. No one on this board is a bad person. Yes we do have very diverse opinions. Yes we do have differences. But unlike the US government, we can get issues to a vote and we vote. Once the vote is taken, we ALL support the rule of law of the Board. And for that I am proud of the KCBS Board of Directors.

So quit. No, I am not a quitter. Do I have think skin, well I guess so, read these post. Do I answer everyone who calls or write me personally, Yes, I do.

So in answer to you, Jeff, I am honored to be 1 of 12 members of the KCBS Board of Directors.

Merl

Confusion

Sorry to stir up any confusion.
I was responding to one post, and also referenced issues I am facing with another Kansas City Board who is likely far worse then the board of the KCBS.

I have had no experiences either positive or negative with the board of the KCBS.

I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that while all of these things have happened while you have been on the board, you alone are not responsible for all of them. And when was the last time you walked around during quiet hours? You've never been to any of the events I cook apparently. If you're so proud of all twelve members, why don't you tell us how proud of "all" of them you were the night the mp3 just happened to stop recording during your discussion of the banquet expenses?

Sorry to stir up any confusion.
I was responding to one post, and also referenced issues I am facing with another Kansas City Board who is likely far worse then the board of the KCBS.

I have had no experiences either positive or negative with the board of the KCBS.

OK, that makes things much clearer. Since you were using "the board" and "a board", I think folks assumed you were speaking of the KCBS board.

thanks for clearing that up. :thumb:

If we just don't vote for any incumbents we'll have 5 new board members this year and four more next year and it'll be a whole lot easier to accomplish than legal proceedings. .

That was supposed to be the plan last year. You see how that worked out.

Back