I have Vinegar-philia

Both Redhot and I love vinegars of all types and we're always trying new things. She makes an aloe juice/apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) coctail every morning.

Wow, I do not think I have seen anything like those flavoured vinegars in Australia. I've got very high quality balsamic vinegars that I get from Hong Kong everytime I go there and then there is your regular red and white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, white and brown (common) vinegar, and then (my fave) Malt Vinegar.

At first, I thought this flavouring idea was a load of hokey... and then I saw Jalopeno Flavour... that brings up a few possibilities for sure. I'd like to try that one!

Cheers!

Bill

Im looking into this very thing. The premium vinegars start as a fruit wine, then the alcohol is converted to acetic acid by the bacterial mother (acetobacter) . These premium vinegars are very pricey so I'm looking to DIY.

Making wine is NOT cheap. Equipment aside, time aside, we're talkin' a good chunk of money to get good juice to ferment. Couple bucks for the wine yeast, gotta get a mother somehow, it really adds up.

Just saying - DIY isn't always cheaper. But the fun factor can make it worthwhile anyway. I like edible hobbies. :thumb:

This is awesome. I have been adding balsamic to my Ribs sauce and know understand why I like Blues Hog Tennessee Red. I will be doing some experimenting this weekend.

I tried making red wine vinegar twice and it tasted awful. Can't seem to get the hang of it. But I'd love to try making some Tennessee Red if anyone has a starter recipe.

Wow, I do not think I have seen anything like those flavoured vinegars in Australia. I've got very high quality balsamic vinegars that I get from Hong Kong everytime I go there and then there is your regular red and white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, white and brown (common) vinegar, and then (my fave) Malt Vinegar.

At first, I thought this flavouring idea was a load of hokey... and then I saw Jalopeno Flavour... that brings up a few possibilities for sure. I'd like to try that one!

Cheers!

Bill

Simple. We just sliced about 15 red jalapenos and divided amongst two quarts of distilled white and have let them sit for about a month.

I'm definitely hooked on vinegar as well. I makes almost everything better. I've even put a couple drops of really old aged balsamic on ice cream with tasty results!

We grow a bunch of oregano every year, and toward the end of the season I'll buy a gallon or 2 of cider vinegar and steep the oregano in it for a week or 2.

I've even made my own malt vinegar by transferring a small mother into some leftover beer I had from homebrewing. Homemade vinegar is definitely a good thing! Looking forward to trying that with leftover wine, etc as well!

Back