I have to share this comment card

I received a comment card that said I had too many greens in the box. Got a 6 in appearance. Funny enough they said that I would've gotten a 9 if it weren't for too many greens.

I got the same comment Skip did, at the same contest. On my card the judge expanded the comment to say that the excess greens had pushed the chicken into the top of the box and smeared it. That at least made some kind of sense.

My most recent favorite was at the NEBS contest at Harpoon. The judge said my steak was mushy and lacked good steak texture; it was filet mignon. For God's sake, eat at someplace other than Denny's once in a while and get an education!

Funny you say that about the steak. I know guys who cook there brisket underdone at comps because they like the chew and wonder why they get bad brisket scores??:roll: People beef is not suppone to be tough!

It's really discouraging to see your all's comment cards have positive feedback, only to get rediculously low scores !!!.. Who is training these CBJ's ?!?!?!?!.. dammit people.. if it tastes great, give it a damn 8 or 9.. !!.. what is with this 6 crap ?!?!?!?

I don't know if the comment cards are helpful or not. This season, I had something that seriously tasted like the top of a salt shaker had fallen off and my portion was the victim. No one else at my table had the same issue. It wasn't the crackers, and I don't think it had to do with our individual salt preferences. Anyway, my comment card said way too salty. What should a competitor do in this case?

I've had some really undercooked or overcooked Q, and my hope is that the cookers know it's not their best, but figure it's better to turn it in and get some points than not turn anything in at all, and they don't need a comment card from me to tell them that sometimes bad is bad.

Yours truly, always hoping to be able to score 999 on every entry, SaucyWench

To be fair, no matter how contradictory the card comments initially seemed, we've learned something useful from each and every one we've gotten.

And it was really, really nice to get one for our chicken that said "Keep doing what you're doing!"

To be fair, no matter how contradictory the card comments initially seemed, we've learned something useful from each and every one we've gotten.

And it was really, really nice to get one for our chicken that said "Keep doing what you're doing!"

And that was 1st Place Chicken too!

It's really discouraging to see your all's comment cards have positive feedback, only to get rediculously low scores !!!.. Who is training these CBJ's ?!?!?!?!.. dammit people.. if it tastes great, give it a damn 8 or 9.. !!.. what is with this 6 crap ?!?!?!?

I think with the new KCBS card they put into affect , 6's are more common because they have the word "average" attached to it. Imo, "average" food isn't horrible. I think that is where alot of things go out of whack. I give out more 7's, 8's, and 5's than I do 6's (in that order) because I think it is easier for a cook who really is putting alot of work into their food to do well or mess up than it is for them to put out 'average' product. I like the rubric, but I think people take it to far sometimes. Is 'average' Famous Daves and Chili's? I don't know. And I suspect everyone's definition is different.

Last contest I judged we were told not to fill them out unless it was for a bad score. To bad these cards weren't out last year.

Overcooked and undercooked are great on comment cards. Salty is another good comment. Just don't tell me the parsley looked out of order like some people have received or dont tell me that my chicken is too shiny and mark me down for it. In my opinion this is a positive thing but when it ends up with a 5 for appereance????? Thanks farked up. The best comment card I ever received was best brisket ever, keep up the great work 999.

<--- judge here

Yes, unfortunately the ranks of judges are not immune to the occasional MORON.

So much for subjectivity... I usually want to punch some of "those types".

You're right; dry we can all understand. However, there is not category/criteria
for shiny or not shiny... And uniformity? I'd say your presentation was spot on.

I also cook in chili cookoffs (CASI). I had a judge one time score mine a 1 where
everyone else scored it 8's or 9's. That one judge knocked me from first place
(with a 6 or higher) to 3rd... DAMNED JUDGES.

:)

dammit people.. if it tastes great, give it a damn 8 or 9.. !!.. what is with this 6 crap ?!?!?!?

not to hijack the comment card thing, but lemme ask y'all this...

do you think it is possible that judges that see (and eat) really good food, consistently over a period of time, would eventually change their perception, and what they used to think excellent (9) is what they now think average (6)? hmmmm....

Sometimes I think the meat has to shoot freakin' sparks out the box in order to get a 9 :roll:

...and I already know judging is not supposed to be comparative and all that...

... food for thought. :wink:

I think, at least from my experience... Judges loosen up with experience... I've found that new or judges without much experience tend to score low and you get low scoring contests. I think that 'newer' judges are more critical... Which is cool. We as cooks just don't get a feel for how they are going to score...

Back