I have fresh salmon coming home

ok my father in law brought home the fish with no face. it had dnr tag. they took the tag and will contact him with the data on the fish. I was very surprised at the color of the meat. it was pretty much white instead of the red/pink I'm used to.

there are some bones in the fillets. is this normal or was it because of his butcher job? he said I can pull them after I cook it. I'm a bit skeptical but dont know.
The lack of color you describe is normal. Farmed Atlantic salmon are fed with something added to give the meat a pinkish color similar (but not as vibrant) to wild West Coast/Alaskan salmon.

The pin bones are normal too. You can pull them with needle nose pliers like Ron said or you can leave them in when making Gravlox. The curing process softens them and makes them easy to pull out when slicing (thin) the salmon to serve.

It was a big rule around my house growing up. Chew each bite carefully or a bone could get stuck in the throat. Any little ones eating, inspect carefully. That looks Great!

As one who had my dad pull out a crappie bone from my throat I only trust myself to believe a slab it bone free, otherwise I follow Mike's advice!

It was a big rule around my house growing up. Chew each bite carefully or a bone could get stuck in the throat. Any little ones eating, inspect carefully. That looks Great!

As one who had my dad pull out a crappie bone from my throat I only trust myself to believe a slab it bone free, otherwise I follow Mike's advice!

yea becky wont eat fish due to a bad experience with a bone as a child

Back