I hate burnt ends

I'm not going to muster up enough hubris to offer you cooking tips (you are certainly much better than I am), so I'll take a different tack. Have you considered that you just might not like them but they are still good? Is your personal taste getting in the way of an accurate assessment?

If you just don't like burnt ends, maybe you should try yours side by side with some that are generally considered to kickass. Maybe yours are good but your preferences are making you think not.

Eric

I'm not going to muster up enough hubris to offer you cooking tips (you are certainly much better than I am), so I'll take a different tack. Have you considered that you just might not like them but they are still good? Is your personal taste getting in the way of an accurate assessment?

If you just don't like burnt ends, maybe you should try yours side by side with some that are generally considered to kickass. Maybe yours are good but your preferences are making you think not.

Eric
No i love burnt ends. I know what they should taste like and what I am producing doesnt even come close. When I do put them in the box I end up with real bad scores

I know this may be obvious, but if you score bad when you turn them in, din't turn them in :-D Mine don't always live up to my expectations. It depends on he brisket. the onces that I had at mowe
Its more or less tweaking. Brisket for the most part has been one of my stonger categories but I end up many times 6-10(never a top 5) . I feel that if I could just produce burnt ends as good as my slices that it would propel me to 1-5.

i think you just dont know what a burnt end is supposed to be.

All kidding aside, neither do I...

is it a soft tender cube of brisket(mine)

is it crunchy on the outside(not mine, but R.U.B.S).

is it reseasoned(with rub), or just carmelized sauce? I have had burnt ends so many different ways, i dont know which is the real deal... Mine are just cubed point, right after slicing the flat, a resauce them and then high heat them to carmelize the sauce.

I have also put them in a pan(with holes poked so they drain), re-rubed, let them render for another hour in the pit. the result was a more chewy version of cubed brisket. i liked my the first way better.

maybe yours are good but u think they suck... so make a batch, and a bunch of us will show up and judge them.

I thought I knew what a good B-E should taste like until we had the pleasure of trying some at The Jack that blew our farking minds. There was zero chew and would just melt in your mouth with an explosion of beef flavor. Best I ever had. MMMMM I need some now.

It can be done for I have seen it. My opinion leans towards thinking that some people might underestimate what 'burnt' really suggests. :shock:

I thought I knew what a good B-E should taste like until we had the pleasure of trying some at The Jack that blew our farking minds. There was zero chew and would just melt in your mouth with an explosion of beef flavor. Best I ever had. MMMMM I need some now.

It can be done for I have seen it. My opinion leans towards thinking that some people might underestimate what 'burnt' really suggests. :shock:

I think there may be some truth to that. In no way would I interpret burnt ends to be burnt. I do like the interpretation of your tasting at the Jack, "zero chew and would just melt in your mouth with an explosion of beef flavor."

I think there may be some truth to that. In no way would I interpret burnt ends to be burnt. I do like the interpretation of your tasting at the Jack, "zero chew and would just melt in your mouth with an explosion of beef flavor."
Thats it!! thats not what I am not making though:sad:

Sledneck my son, be one with the brisket. Rub it, tug it, smack it, poke it. Don't let the burnt ends get the best of you, get the best of them. I would say it is 100% that you are taking them from the wrong spot. I know I cannot cook but my burnt ends are awesome... Yes I said it.... awesome! I know you can cook so I cannot imagine there being any other problem...maybe its the steak sauce!!!!!

I had this burnt end discussion with Rich and Bunny Tuttle last Saturday night. It's kinda funny actually what we're calling "burnt ends" that aren't really burnt ends at all in the true sense of the word. True "burnt ends" are the little chewy, dry pieces that fall off the brisket when the whole thing is sliced. In no way are they soft and tender chunks of brisket cubed (those are called "cubed brisket chunks"). True burnt ends (as "invented" by Arthur Bryant's) are chewy, crispy burnt little morsels (coming from flat or point) that your CBJs would HAMMER the hell out of in tenderness and appearance! I'd envision a typical score as 593 for appearance, taste and tenderness.

The real problem here is if we start to put a description on what a burnt end should be or the criteria of what it takes to be a burnt end the judging will be swayed that way. Due to the ability of mass publication on the www. This is what has happened with the bite thru skin, the perfect tenderness to ribs, to name a few. I think that the info gathered on the forums are great, but I also think we cause problems for our own good than we realize.

Hey Butchers BBQ, Hahaha, aint that the truth.
The B-E i tried were so much better then what we ever made and I can only guess at the way these were cooked. It gives me hope.

I agree with some of the comments. It is well known, or at least fairly well known, what criteria a cook is after when submitting sliced brisket. When tossing burnt ends in the box for judges to try, I think unless they are those little flavor explosions mentioned earlier, you are taking a risk of getting marked down from judge to judge. Until the there is some type of criteria given to a 'burnt end', they had better be off the hook, or you might be better off leaving them out.

As for the original question how do cook them, I am still working on that and do not have an answer. Mine range from excessively chewy squares of a sauced beef product, to small chunks of coal or a petrified type substance that the dog wont even eat. Not what I would call off the hook. Back to the drawing board.

The real problem here is if we start to put a description on what a burnt end should be or the criteria of what it takes to be a burnt end the judging will be swayed that way. Due to the ability of mass publication on the www. This is what has happened with the bite thru skin, the perfect tenderness to ribs, to name a few. I think that the info gathered on the forums are great, but I also think we cause problems for our own good than we realize.

I don't totally disagree with you but to some extent, those things are also taught during CBJ classes. When I took Ed Roith's CBJ class, I was taught the perfect tenderness of ribs (with the bite mark showing and any bone exposed turning white and no other meat coming off the bone except for the bite) and I have since been told that not ALL CBJ instructors teach this and that in fact, it was Ed who came up with that "standard" and started teaching it that way to CBJs.

Melt in your mouth is a little bit off but I think most get what Im saying. Damn good and not tough at all might be a better explanation is what i should have said. No matter, I cant make them that good anyhow.

I agree with some of the comments. It is well known, or at least fairly well known, what criteria a cook is after when submitting sliced brisket. When tossing burnt ends in the box for judges to try, I think unless they are those little flavor explosions mentioned earlier, you are taking a risk of getting marked down from judge to judge. Until the there is some type of criteria given to a 'burnt end', they had better be off the hook, or you might be better off leaving them out.

As for the original question how do cook them, I am still working on that and do not have an answer. Mine range from excessively chewy squares of a sauced beef product, to small chunks of coal or a petrified type substance that the dog wont even eat. Not what I would call off the hook. Back to the drawing board.
Thats what I have been getting

It is my favorite BBQ item. I cook them how I like them. I only assume the judges have similar tastes as me. I don't know.

IMG_7812.jpg

Back