I give up (DMV Rant)

Yakfishingfool said:
It's a single use item, may nto need tags....my tow dolly requires no tags.

Tow dolly's are just about the only thing excepted from the tag rule in Florida.

chad said:
I guess it depends on the tag agent - I had the bill of lading with weight (gross and tare), bill of sale, photos of the welded serial number and the manufacturer's tag -- and walked out with nothing but a headache!! :eek:

I am going to try again - I've now got more documentation and I've owned it for over 6 months!!

Gotta love a bureaucracy!! :biggrin:

It may depend on the county, and if they are used to giving tags out for a smoker. I'm in Seminole, and I went to the Oviedo Tax Office Branch, and like I said, they did not hesitate. You may want to call down there first, and hopefully you will get someone thats willing to find out the answers.

I have sent the following to the NYS DMV:

I have purchased a brand new BBQ Smoker Trailer from Lang Manufacturing in Georgia. It is a large BBQ smoker welded to a trailer frame. The manufacturer has provided me with a Certificate of Origin and VIN number. I tried to register the BBQ smoker trailer at my local DMV office in Riverhead, New York. They refused to register the trailer saying that my BBQ Smoker Trailer does not need to be registered. They sited DMV form MV-274. I want to do the right thing and I do not want to get a ticket for no registeration on the trailer. Could you please verify wether I need to register this trailer or not? If you would like to see an image of the BBQ Smoker Trailer in question, it can be viewed on the internet at http://www.pigroast.com/model84m.htm. Thank you for your help.

I am really anxious to see what they have to say. If they say no registration, I will make a copy and keep it in the truck. If they say I need one I will make a copy and march down to DMV with it. The ball is in their court.

Guy - one of my neighbors works for the DMV in Coney Island - I'll ask him about it.

The reply from the NY DMV is as follows:

Based on the explanation in your Email the BBQ Smoker Trailer you describe if dedicated to barbecuing only and carries no load may be regarded as a "Trailer Type Vehicle Not Requiring Registration" please use the link http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv274.pdf for a copy of the MV 274 as a guide. Traditional trailer equipment is not required. , use link http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529c.pdf for equipment list. However in the interest of highway safety we do recommend minimum lighting for visibility since the vehicle being towed may obstruct the towing vehicle lighting. Such a vehicle does not require registration. However if you wish to register such a vehicle you may. Registration may be required if you tow this devise into another state where it may be viewed as an unregistered vehicle. Please check with other states if applicable.

Well, I guess that is that. I can register it if I wish. It appears that single use trailers in NYS do not have to be registered.

In Missouri, if you can pull it, you need plates. They gotta get their money somehow! :roll: And another thing I didn't think of until my insurance agent was here reviewing all our coverages... insurance! But like my boat/trailer, it will probably only run about $40 to $50 per year.

Back