I found a pellet smokers Achilles heel

Why would anyone use any grill uncovered in the rain?

I have a pellet grill, kamado, gas grill, and log burner. NONE have even been left out in use or not in use and uncovered in the rain. I can understand if you don't have a patio or lean-to and a rain shower moves in. But these days the weather people and our phones are pretty good at giving us a heads up about wether radars.

I don't know if this country is intentionally getting dumbed down. But on a daily basis I'm found myself wondering what the f@ck.

I don’t think my Yoder will have a problem with the wind blowing the hopper lid open. If the wind were that strong, I’m thinking there will be other things bowing around that will cause me larger problems. Things like tree branches, whole trees, lawn furniture, shingles, roofs and maybe whole houses.

Agreed.

I have a pellet grill, kamado, gas grill, and log burner. NONE have even been left out in use or not in use and uncovered in the rain. I can understand if you don't have a patio or lean-to and a rain shower moves in. But these days the weather people and our phones are pretty good at giving us a heads up about wether radars.

I don't know if this country is intentionally getting dumbed down. But on a daily basis I'm found myself wondering what the f@ck.

I dunno, maybe it's that heat + properly treated metal means they can be exposed to rain and be just fine? My traeger has pushed through hard rain and held it's temp perfectly. My barrel is a little more sensitive and the temp drops but still hums along.

In my case it was a last minute business trip. I wanted it to cool before I covered it. Didn’t get time. But my Weber gasser stays uncovered all the time

Covers catch on fire when exposed to flame. Rain doesn't effect a running cooker much, wind can be an issue.

A well designed cooker is weatherproof, since it's purpose is to be used outdoors, where it is exposed to weather. Around me, covers just provide a greater sail area.

I think most people aren't as scared of a little rain as you are.

I have very limited time at home, and I'm not going to let a little weather keep me from cooking what I want. I've used grills/smokers in heat, rain, and snow. If it is a full on storm, that is different, but a light to steady rain isn't enough to do damage.

If you can’t cook in the rain then you’ve got the wrong cooker (or cook.) Rain has never stopped me whether I’m using a kettle, Stumps, Pellet, or gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can’t cook in the rain then you’ve got the wrong cooker (or cook.) Rain has never stopped me whether I’m using a kettle, Stumps, Pellet, or gasser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what rain gear or umbrellas are for. Plus, the human epidermis is a semi-permeable membrane, so a little rain won't do you any harm.

I’ve never had any trouble with my stick burner. Pre-heat the splits and add them to the FB....no problem. Afterwards, when everything is cool, shovel out the FB and everything is ready for the next time.

Good luck and happy smoking,... Joe.

I think ylouder was misunderstood. He probably didn't mean a cover but a roof or ez-up type tent. I also would never cook uncovered in the rain. The only time my shirley has seen water was on the way home from Alabama. I cook in my smoker garage or back covered patio and use a fan to blow the smoke out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's funny - lived in the SE Alaska rain forest for 22 years. Rain or snow probably 300 days per year. Cooked outside on an uncovered deck. Now I'm in Montana (12" of rain/yr) and my cookers are on a nice covered porch...

I went out an hour ago to prepare my kettle for a cook. There was a puddle in the bottom!:shock:
I tipped it to the side to drain for a moment, then continued on. All my electronics -a Dot-were hanging on the side of the fridge.

I put some pork butts on this morning, and had to unexpectedly leave for a few hours. I came back, and my pellet grill was rock steady at 225. There are pros and cons to everything.

Yeah I’m not worried about a little rain. Now a monsoon is different. But I’m worried about any grill at that point. My grill stays in the basement when not in use by the way.

Had my Daniel Boone for a month and have done at least 12 cooks. It has rained at some point during every cook. When rain is forecast, I put my 4x6 canopy. No problems yet.

5 pellet cookers over the years … decade or so with various versions... live in Florida … couple hurricanes, a few tropical storms … zero pellet problems....

I imagine a tornado would mess up a stick burner pretty good... yeah that's it. I found the Achille's Heel of a stick-burner. Tornadoes.

Back