I feel like David vs. Goliath

We did our very first comp two weeks ago. As soon as we rolled the first words out my mouth were "We're out of league". If the wife had longer arms she would've back handed me. When it was all over with, we finished mid pack and I was more than happy...mostly because some of the teams I got to talk with the night before gave advice of taking at least one class a year. With that info I'm sure the scores will go up. This week my goal isn't about getting a call as much as it is about beating my scores from two weeks ago. Eventually David will become Goliath....I just don't want to get hit in the head with a rock or an over cooked brisket!

We are a small time team but have a few calls and a trophy or two.

The way we see is that we are not competing against other teams. We are competing against ourselves. If we do our best then that's all we can do. What some other teams does, does not determine whether what score we receive. It what we put in front of the judges that counts.

So I read the OP and all of the comments (especially the more colorful and painful ones). My two cents:

They say that when a person with money meets a person with knowledge, the person with the money leaves with knowledge and the person with the knowledge leaves with money.

Sounds like you are getting knowledge. Expensive knowledge, but knowledge.

I have not competed before. Do I think I can score better than some of you brethren out there (including the OP)? The arrogant part of me says Hell yes. The wiser part of me says that I would have as much chance of beating you as I would taking on Jeff Gordon one-on-one in a NASCAR race, or trying to get a hit off Aroldis Chapman.

Why? Because you practice, and I don't. Well, I do, but not at the level I know some of you do.

Even if I practiced at those levels, there are so many factors that go into the art of Q, I still could not guarantee a win against any of you.

But I will never know the answer until I drag my arse out there on the front line and try. And to be the best, you have to compete against the best. I can beat all of my neighbors in Q, but none of them is Myron or Trigg, or DivaQ or BigMista or DeGuerre or N8Man (no slight against the rest of you).

The best way to improve is to do what pro sports teams do: Analyze and adjust.

Send your spies (I mean market research consultants) out there to get some samples. Analyze those bad boys like you were on a CSI team. Have your family and friends blind taste the winning product against yours.

It worked for the Patriots.

+1 above. You dont have to send out the spies... Judge a few contests. You'll get an idea of what the winners produce, if not how they're doing it, you'll know WHAT.

I enjoy competing for the joy of the competition, and frankly there is little joy unless I'm competing against Myron and a few others... Then, when I do better than they do; WOOO HOOOO. And when I dont, I reflect, and learn, and take another shot of tequila and tell the wife "You're driving home". :)

Unfortunately for me.... Its every contest with me getting my bitt kicked by past students. So get in line!!!! Honestly, it makes me smile. Whether folks used anything out of the class, I am still happy for them. Whether it be world championships or category wins. I'm still a winner...

But don't worry Kit. I still need Virginia and Delaware, so sharpen your swords!!!!

Don't put off Nebraska too long, we get a little better every time out. :wink:

so many ways of looking at this...its the only professional hobby/sport that I know of that all you have to do to compete with and against past legends, current superstars and people that just want to have fun is to pay an entree fee....

This. You can either be the star of your church league, or go into Yankee Stadium and take your swings. Nothing is wrong with either approach, but to me the rare opportunity to compete with the best in your 'sport' is appealing. How many minor league baseball players would sell their soul for opportunities like this?

Hozman, like you, we only do 4-6 comps per year. Last year, we were only able to do 2 due to illness. We are a husband and wife team, I am the only cook, my wife arranges boxes, runs turn ins, and has an uncanny knack of knowing what I need before I need it (seasonings, sauces warmed, etc.)

You'll realistically never be able to consistently beat the best teams cooking so few events, but in 5 1/2 seasons we've held our own, and heard our names called a time or two, and you can do that as well. But if you aren't having fun with it, it's not worth doing.

I'm finally considering taking a class because I've gotten about as good at it as I can on my own, and am not ashamed to look for some tips and techniques from some more consistent winners

Our best ever was in 2010, taking 1st pork and 6th brisket against some of the best at UP Hog wild. I would bet we were as on top of the world as if we'd won GC...well...almost:roll:

If you are just there to have fun, and maybe get a good call here and there, why not just do unsanctioned comps or amateur comps instead?

It's the same basic thing, but you'll have less goliath's to compete with. Your friends will all have fun cooking and competing, etc.

Who cares?

ya, as someone already beat me to it, If you feel like David vs. Goliath, if my memory serves me correctly, who wins? =) Think positive brother! I am by no means a pro, in fact, im running my own solo team for the first time in 2 weekends. i have helped teams, but this is the real deal, in my mind, im gonna win, no arrogance, just the mindset you gotta have. Got a few heavy hitters in my parts also, one of which, you better believe im gonna be in line for his class next year!!

I have only just started competing and I very much enjoy it. I think that going up against the big guns is a big part of the fun. As Sterling put it, in what else can you go head to head with the best there is for $250.

I will be 60 this year and don’t feel as I have 4-5 years to invest in teaching myself so I have taken a few of the courses some of the big guns offer. Unfortunately a series of family issues have forced me to limit my schedule this year and looks like I will only get about 6 in this year. I plan on taking yet another course over the winter and hope to be able to enter 10-12 next season. I think that is the only way to hone your skills.

I watched a top team recently and it was almost uncanny – they really didn’t even have to talk to each other….each knew what the other was doing or wanted. It was like some sort of synchronized dance without a wasted effort

I only have ever played to win, so yes it is frustrating, but I am going to keep pressing and along the way I expect to share a few beers and meet more good people, and I will be a winner, hopefully sooner than later.

One side note though, I did recently judge a contest and I have to say I was disappointed in what landed on my table. I think that there was only one outstanding box in each category and some were actually downright bad—which really made me wonder…as I keep finishing in the middle of the pack…hmmm – maybe I have a lot more work to do than I thought J

Hozman, like you, we only do 4-6 comps per year. Last year, we were only able to do 2 due to illness. We are a husband and wife team, I am the only cook, my wife arranges boxes, runs turn ins, and has an uncanny knack of knowing what I need before I need it (seasonings, sauces warmed, etc.)

You'll realistically never be able to consistently beat the best teams cooking so few events, but in 5 1/2 seasons we've held our own, and heard our names called a time or two, and you can do that as well. But if you aren't having fun with it, it's not worth doing.

I'm finally considering taking a class because I've gotten about as good at it as I can on my own, and am not ashamed to look for some tips and techniques from some more consistent winners

Our best ever was in 2010, taking 1st pork and 6th brisket against some of the best at UP Hog wild. I would bet we were as on top of the world as if we'd won GC...well...almost:roll:

Attaboy Dann. I also remember a big call at Westmont, I think you jumped all the way to the stage....:grin: Honestly, that is what it is all about folks. My girls still get excited and I now just let them get to go to the stage. Plus, they run to get the award and by the time they get there, I am still trying to get my sore aching body out of my comfortable chair!!!! :)

Also.... As a competitor.... If folks are intimidated and or scared at the cooks meeting. I already won... my view is there isn't anyone better in that cooks meeting than myself. Cocky or confident? Honestly, I dont really know the difference. But I can tell you I didn't show up to be intimidated or to finish second.

With it being Jack week. There are plenty of stories of the little guy taking out the big teams... on any given Saturday....

Man you guy's gotta decide what you want. Win, or have fun.
We only cook a couple comps a year, in fact this year we are only cooking one next weekend.
We want to win everyone does but we also just like the experience. We have cooked against a lot of big names although we haven't won a category or gotten a GC we have beaten guy's like Johnny Trigg and others in individual category's and to me that is a win.
We don't cook every weekend and don't have the money to do a bunch of comps a year, but I don't mind seeing the big names because in my opinion if I can go hang out with friends and other teams, have a good time, maybe get a call or beat the BIG GUY'S in a category I have already one.
Just remember there is a reason it is called PRFESSIONAL a lot of these guy's cook for a living.

Mindset: When I go to a contest, I am there to beat me (my demons)

How I exorcise my demons:

1. purchased the proper meat (no cutting of corners).
2. Not too many intoxicants, if any.
3. I have everything I need, because I have a list not to forget stuff
4. I am not using year old sauce and rubs
5. I have practiced and will stick to the gameplan
6. I will fight all voices in my head during turn in and not have a bonehead epiphany.
7. I will make all turn ins because I have an atomic clock, alarms and a visible gameplan.
8. I will make sure my wood chunks are quality and not from Home Dump
9. etc.

First, I would like to know how many teams have gone out and won GC or RGC in their first competition or first couple.
Second,I love going to competitions!
I started doing them last year, went to 3, this year did 6. I cook by myself, so no teammates to help spread out the costs, no body making boxes or running turn-ins. So I understand how disheartening it can be, believe me! I pull in with my Yukon and my off-set trailer, no motor home or mini semi truck with a 2 bedroom house on the back end. I sleep for about 3hrs in the back of my truck before starting my fire and staying up most of the night.
Its also been a kick in the head not finishing near the top, because Im a chef in my professional life, but I had never really practiced bbq or written any recipes down before last June. I just started competing and said lets see what happens. I make all my rubs and sauces from scratch, I did alter a couple retail competition sauces for a few comps this year, but finished the last one with my own recipe again. I attended a class last year with Paul Kirk, which I loved! I dont know what the other classes are like, but he doesnt give you a recipe, rather gives the formula on how to build a rub and a sauce, then you have to go out and find your "taste". I spent just about every weekend last weekend here in MN last year testing rubs changing one ingredient at a time until I was happy with the results, then this summer I even added a few more elements, and started moving up the board.
My results are getting consistent and better from comp to comp. And that is ultimately my goal, is to have fun, make great consistent bbq and continue to improve. Ive competed in 9 competitions total, and many of those top teams have been doing 9+ comps each year for years. Right now Im better known for cooking all by myself than winning, but Ill take that, because if/when I do win, it will be that much more impressive in addition to beating those top teams.

...its the only professional hobby/sport that I know of that all you have to do to compete with and against past legends, current superstars and people that just want to have fun is to pay an entree fee....

BBQ and Poker, aka my other expensive hobby. Actually I lose more money on BBQ then Poker. :crazy:

Also.... As a competitor.... If folks are intimidated and or scared at the cooks meeting. I already won... my view is there isn't anyone better in that cooks meeting than myself. Cocky or confident? Honestly, I dont really know the difference. But I can tell you I didn't show up to be intimidated or to finish second.

With it being Jack week. There are plenty of stories of the little guy taking out the big teams... on any given Saturday....

I have never been toa cooks meeting but if I went and Scottie was there I would be intimidated.

If the big boys are not there, who would you beat?

I don't give a damn about beating chumps, I want to hurt the feelings of the best out there.

Man i gotta agree with that one! It aint no fun beating up the little kids, i like to whup up on them big bullies. It did take a few years and a lot of practice and $$$ to be able to do it though. Rarely does a new team just show up and win although it does happen sometimes but to do it consistently week in and week out well thats gonna take as much time work and money as Pellet Envy and the other top teams have spent getting there. Will also say to pay attn when a winning team give you advice, there are some teams competing for years an never win. They usually have a closed mind and or a stubborn head.
Good luck and keep trying its just more fun when you finally do get there.

Back