I farking nailed it! First long BUTT cook on the wsm.

Would you care to elaborate on the difference in the butt on your grill vs yoru smoker?

Ive never done it on a grill and I am interested in how much better smoking really is :)

I DID try some "pulled pork bbq sandwich" at Sams last weekend (you know how they hand out samples near the frozen foods). I clearly wasn't thinking! Not only was it about $7 :shock: per pound but the texture seriously made me gag. I was underwhelmed to say the least :)

I just started smoking this summer and that moment at sams I had a minor epiphany:idea: as I realized how amazing my WSM and my budding bbq skills really are!
Great looking pork by the way and those rolls look delicious as well!

The pp that came off the wsm was juicy, tender and full of flavour.

The pp that came off the kettle was always full of flavour, but not very tender or juicy. The amount of work to do long cooks on the kettle is enormous and the temp control just isn't there compared to the wsm. You have to constantly check to make sure that the water is good and the fuel is good.

If your looking you are not cooking.

I know there are better set it and forget it smokers out there, but for the price and versitility, my little wsm rocks. One day I will get a stick burner with an offset firebox to try.
I got a line on a drum to make a UDS so maybe this weekend or next I will be doing that.

The pp that came off the wsm was juicy, tender and full of flavour.

The pp that came off the kettle was always full of flavour, but not very tender or juicy. The amount of work to do long cooks on the kettle is enormous and the temp control just isn't there compared to the wsm. You have to constantly check to make sure that the water is good and the fuel is good.

If your looking you are not cooking.

I know there are better set it and forget it smokers out there, but for the price and versitility, my little wsm rocks. One day I will get a stick burner with an offset firebox to try.
I got a line on a drum to make a UDS so maybe this weekend or next I will be doing that.

For a good, long, low-n-slow cook, it is hard to beat a UDS. Since I built mine this past fall/winter, I have done 10-15 shoulders on it and not a bum in the bunch. Plus, it was a fun project to build.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the comments. I love getting reconized for all the hard work. I guess I am a bit of an attention hound.

I also noticed that I didn't include the wood picture. I plan on going to my buddies camp this weekend and getting myself a maple tree for some more smoking wood. Maybe grab an oak at the same time. Don't know what to smoke witht the oak though. I am sure the maple and apple could be used for anything.

Back