I confess - I've been doing it wrong

It does work. Probably should have tried it on a 4" blade first.

Last edited:
I’ve never tried to sharpen a knife that way. I use the WSKO but am going to try this for grins.

I've seen a lot of videos on "the correct way to sharpen a knife". This is the first I've seen of an "edge up" technique. I will have to give it a shot- I'm not much good at freehand sharpening on a flat stone and don't have a fancy Work Sharp or better sharpening system. Nothing really to lose - unless a rambunctious grand kid decides to wrestle pawpaw during that sketchy "tip towards your chest" portion.

I think those of us of a certain age were exposed to the strop at a vintage barber shop. Around ears and neck were cleaned up with cream or soap and the barber wielded a straight razor. He'd strop the razor on a long piece of leather attached to the chair before each customer use. Reading the link above stropping cleaned the edges too.

Last edited:
I think those of us of a certain age were exposed to the strop at a vintage barber shop. Around ears and neck were cleaned up with cream or soap and the barber wielded a straight razor. He'd strop the razor on a long piece of leather attached to the chair before each customer use. Reading the link above stropping cleaned the edges too.

My introduction to a barber shop strop was my dad whipping my a$$ with one .... because his a$$ was .... incidentally ... it was the same strop !!!

My introduction to a barber shop strop was my dad whipping my a$$ with one .... because his a$$ was .... incidentally ... it was the same strop !!!

My dad had one of those leather skinny belts. You could hear it popping at each loop when being removed. Ouch

That will work, :-D

Couple things, His knife was a Mora, most likely carbon steel, that's what a lot of these bushcraft guys like, thus it's an easy steel to sharpen, the scandi grind also makes it easy to follow the edge.

A very hard "modern" steel or a lot of stainless steel blades are more difficult to sharpen, and that whetstone he used may not be appropriate, a diamond stone would work better and of course more expensive.

But he's right, try not to let the knife get too dull to start with, a few light strokes with a good steel, or ceramic rod will keep a properly sharpened blade going a good while before the edge needs a re-up....

Back