I caught the crabs...

redchaserron

Full Fledged Farker
Sunday I went fishing, the fish weren't cooperating so I found something that was. An hour of soaking chicken on a string produced 5 dozen really nice sized blue crabs.

QnQgrJp.jpg

I pulled out the 2 dozen largest males and steamed them in beer for dinner Sunday night. 2-16oz cans miller high life, 1qt water 1 cup vinegar,2 heads of garlic cut in half and crushed then put in the pot, 6 lemons halved, squeezed and dropped into the pot and a good bit of Louisiana brand crab boil seasoning. This made a mixture about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep in the pot. I wanted to keep the basket above the liquid so I balled up aluminum foil to make 3 big balls, put them in the pot for the basket to sit on. I took the live crabs, used an ice pick to poke a hole in the shell of each on the underside just above the flap to let the seasoning get in. I layered the crabs in the basket, a layer of crabs, a big sprinkling of crab boil seasoning, a layer of crabs, seasoning etc. Put the basket of crabs in the pot and cranked the propane burner to high. As soon as I started seeing steam I started timing and cooked for 20 minutes. Best steamed crabs ever
911bQ7W.jpg

I cleaned the rest of the crabs, removing the back shell and gills, put a bunch in the freezer for future gumbo, but kept 20 out for something special on Monday.

Am4cVRH.jpg

Monday morning early I made a slurry of ice and water in an ice chest, seasoned the water well with crab boil seasoning and put the cleaned crabs in to let them soak all day.
ZdkZYg2.jpg

After 5 when I ended my day of working from home, I lit up a bunch of natural briquettes, while they lit I melted a couple of sticks of butter, added the juice of a whole lemon and about 5 cloves of garlic chopped and crushed, plus some Worcestershire sauce and Tony's. Once the coals were ready I spread them evenly and threw some chunks of wood on top. I want live fire for this. I put the crabs on the grill and immediately basted them all heavily in the body cavity with the butter mix

pw7nUr2.jpg

At this point the edges of the flippers and legs singe and give off a bit of a burnt hair smell, don't sweat it, they are still going to taste good. I cook until the juices in the crab start to bubble then flip them face down for a bit, then face up again and re baste, moving them around the grill as needed to adjust for hot spots. When the looked done I pulled them, placed in a pan and dumped the remaining butter mix over the top of them. They were sublime.

eDFAPhg.jpg

Rich buttery blue crab with complex smokiness is some kid of wonderful.

An hour of soaking chicken on a string produced 5 dozen really nice sized blue crabs.

Is that a normal catch? Seems like a lot. Anyway, love reading these posts as I know nothing about seafood. Looks great!!!

Thanks,
Greg

Is that a normal catch? Seems like a lot. Anyway, love reading these posts as I know nothing about seafood. Looks great!!!

Thanks,
Greg

They were running really well. Our "state" limit is 12 dozen per boat or vehicle, however I was in a national wildlife refuge that has its own limit of 5 doz. The way they were running I could have gotten my 12 doz. Sometimes it's easy like that, sometimes they just aren't running, moon, tide, weather and other things can come into play. The good thing about the refuge is that no commercial activity is allowed on it, all crabbing has to be done with hand lines only, so without the commercial crabbers having traps in there, the average size of the crabs is much larger than areas that are fished heavily by the commercial guys.

By the way, the way we catch them is cool, and so easy kids and drunks can do it. Tie a piece of chicken to a string about 12 feet long or so, tie the other end of the string to something solid. Throw the chicken in the water. When the line goes tight slowly pull it in, the crab will hang on because they are greedy bastards. slip a dip net under the crab and scoop him up. On Sunday I was pulling up lines with 3-5 crabs hanging onto the chicken at a time.

This reminds me of living on the NC coast... That looks absolutely fantastic!

I'm green with ivy, er, envy!

Oh wow, that looks incredible! Looks like a couple awesome blue crab preparations!!

:-D

I need to start carrying some chicken in the boat as a backup plan for slow fishing days. My bride would be just as happy with the crabs as fish. It never fails that when we just go crabbing, I see plenty of tailing fish, and quickly get distracted.

I do love it, when running a rip, sight fishing for cobia or triple tails, and wind up dipping up a mess of swimmers.

Excellent cook and post:clap2:

We catch them on strings or in baskets using chicken necks and backs from the fishing piers off the coasts of North and South Carolina. Fun times.

:-D

I need to start carrying some chicken in the boat as a backup plan for slow fishing days. My bride would be just as happy with the crabs as fish. It never fails that when we just go crabbing, I see plenty of tailing fish, and quickly get distracted.

I do love it, when running a rip, sight fishing for cobia or triple tails, and wind up dipping up a mess of swimmers.

Excellent cook and post:clap2:

I brought the chicken along because when I was in the marsh the previous Sunday I saw crabs everywhere while poling around the flats. The first dozen crabs I caught this weekend I actually caught from the poling platform while looking for fish.

Back