I’ve cooked my LAST big cook....

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
On residential/patio sized cookers. Recently sold an old motorcycle and I’m looking to step my game up and invest in a more serious smoker. Currently I have:
Primo xl
Large BGE
36” old school oklahoma joe
UDS
Cheap propane cabinet

I mainly use the two ceramics, the joe gets used sparingly.

Naturally I’m torn between gravity/insulated cabinet smokers and a traditional reverse flow trailer offset.

My points I’m tossing around:
1. Time- I have 3 kids, all involved in sports, so free Saturdays are rare.
2. Fuel- I don’t really have a great supply of wood, few places around me sell it, but I’m not lucky enough to live near an apple or pecan orchard like some of y’all, so if I went offset I would have to buy wood by the load (75-100/truckload). Plenty of stores around with charcoal/chunks.
3- size, I want a smoker that can accommodate and built around full size pans.
4-quality. I want to at least maintain the same level of bark/smokiness/flavor as my ceramics. I would assume anything on the market would suffice. Off

Prices are comparable between most, been looking at new/used 250 gallon or 60” reverse flows and used 28/30” insulated gravity fed cabinets. I have a trailer I can load the cabinet smoker up into a take it places, but there is something cool about a big trailer offset too...

Thoughts?

After reading the time and fuel points it seems like you would be better off with a cabinet. I bought a used Lang a while back and it hardly sees any action because I can't dedicate the time to feeding sticks. I also don't have a good wood source so it ends up being a pretty expensive cook.

No way a quality 250 gallon trailer is the same as a gravity fed/insulated cabinet. I've owned both, I'm just not a charcoal smoke person. I always go back to offsets. A 250 gallon trailer from a reputable builder is going to be pushing 8k now with the market the way it is.

I've always wanted a 250 gallon trailer, but made myself come to the realization that it doesn't make sense if you aren't cooking for 100+ people often or making money with it. My new pit will be 24x60" but able to put pans on both racks. With a smoker, it's not always best to go big or go home.

^^^ yep. Big insulated cabinet. You'll get 80-90% of the stick burner flavor.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My vote is for a large T&K cabinet. I have fallen in love with mine. Rock steady and if you add a fireboard with fan, on my to do list, it's pretty much hands off. There are some reviews on YouTube.

You've got 3 kids all involved in sports and rarely any free time? Sounds like a recipe for an insulated cabinet. Regardless of the time constraints personally my vote would be for a cabinet as I'm not one that likes to babysit a fire all day as I always have better things to do with my time. Personally I achieve stick burner results in my cabinet without all the hassle associated with a stick burner and I'm free to go about my day as I wish.

With the kids and time constraints and lack of available wood, I’d look at a cabinet also. There is a big pitmaker safe for sale here in the classifieds. They are built like tanks. I’ve owned cabinets, offsets, pellets and kamados....I think a quality cabinet will blow you away with performance and quality of food compared to your ceramics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My cascade smoker was built around accepting the hotel pans in the slides in place of the grates if wanted. Check them out if you go with an ivc. Can’t recommend Rob, owner/builder/etc and his smokers enough.

Look at the LSG large insulated smokers. Each rack holds two full size hotel pans side by side.
a89b3dcc47f2d11f64f7a2c04417bab0.jpg
07a5b5c29db98c16e0a266d310ed4e3b.jpg
e2127aacd9da04a62898253090a228bd.jpg
76db504033a34a74bdde3d3aa2727046.jpg
2cba16ab64a38082f121c39fc282f338.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mine has 4 racks but you can upgrade to 7 racks. You can add a fan but mine rides steady without it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks All! confirmed what I've been leaning towards, I know cabinets put out comp grade q, but you gravitate to old habits I guess.

I guess the market is different up north, a lang 60" original is $4K new, bubba grills 250R is about the same price. I'm sure there are smaller craftsmen out there making nicer smokers, but as far as reputable I'd put lang and bubba grills up against anyone.

I haven't looked at the T&K cabinets before, but they are nice looking smokers. There are several builders in Georgia too, and a few used on FB Marketplace, I'm going to go with the first reputable smoker I find that fits my needs.

Good lookin smoker, about the same size I'm looking for.

I think a good insulated cabinet will be large enough to handle my cooking needs 10-15 butts, and still efficient enough that if I want to do a smaller cook for my family its not going to annoy me burning a bunch of fuel.

off to the classifieds section hoping for a good deal. Thanks!

Back