THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Eater has an online article regarding Huy Fong Original Sriracha shortage thru labor Day. It's a good article as it lists other brands who are not reporting any production problems

Link to Eater online article

do not under any circumstances substitute with the Trader Joe's alternative. it is bloody awful.

I have a bottle in the fridge, but i am in the minority because its way too spicy. I have to use it sparingly. Local grocery stores make pretty good raw spicy salmon sushi with siracha but its soooooo much milder then huy fong, and i prefer it.

I have a bottle of Huy Fong but its way too spicy for me, i rarely use it. I do order Wild sockeye salmon volcano sushi roll from Wegmans that uses a red siracha sauce that is mild and delicious. If you put Huy Fong on it, you wouldnt even taste the raw wild sockeye salmon.

Chef Rick Bayless often mentions Badia products. I'm guessing that's a dam solid Sriracha

I bought a bottle of the Tabasco Sriracha once and it was pretty good. This was during the first HF shortage. My son who I didn't think paid attention told me "Dad, this Sriracha isn't as good as the other stuff". I think it's good but HF is better.

Underwood Ranches supplied the peppers for Siracha until a legal dispute between the two. Siracha lost.
The Underwood Ranch sauce is supposedly identical to Siracha.

i just couldn't. sat in the fridge for like 2yrs before I finally pitched it. I think I used it twice, yuck.
It's the only one I've tried so far. Not a big fan of heat and TJ's is fairly mild. Might try another once I run out.

Underwood Ranches supplied the peppers for Siracha until a legal dispute between the two. Siracha lost.
The Underwood Ranch sauce is supposedly identical to Siracha.

There was a mini documentary about this somewhere and I can’t remember where I saw it. Huy Fong contracted underwood to supply the peppers for their flavor and consistency. Huy Fong talked underwood into buying (or maybe leasing) a ton more land to increase production. Once the land was acquired and crops grown, Huy Fong cut the amount that they paid underwood per bottle to a level where underwood wasn’t able to break even. Big lawsuit and they sued each other. Huy Fong found several suppliers in Mexico. The color and consistency of the sauce was different and the crops have been very inconsistent ever since which is why they continue to have supply issues.

1716349781321.png

"Huy Fong contracted underwood to supply the peppers for their flavor and consistency. Huy Fong talked underwood into buying (or maybe leasing) a ton more land to increase production. Once the land was acquired and crops grown, Huy Fong cut the amount that they paid underwood per bottle to a level where underwood wasn’t able to break even. Big lawsuit and they sued each other. Huy Fong found several suppliers in Mexico. The color and consistency of the sauce was different and the crops have been very inconsistent ever since which is why they continue to have supply issues."

Adding to the above, Underwood won the ~$23M lawsuit against Huy Fong and then Underwood went and came out with their own siricha sauce, using the same peppers they used to sell to Huy Fong (who now gets their peppers elsewhere). The flavor appears to reviews (and to me) to be the same as the old (good) Huy Fong. Costco sells the Underwood siricha so, the Underwood version is now my go-to Siricha (the Tobasco Siricha is almost as good but, not quite).

Last edited:
Back