Humphrey Pint Getting Started

djl

Found some matches.
Hello Brethren, I've been a member for a year and enjoy reading and seeing your posts and pics, but have been a dunce about figuring out how to post. My wife pointed me to the new thread button. God bless her. She's also my only BBQ team member, and loves making boxes.
I am truly blessed as she loves BBQ, and recently ordered us a new Humphrey smoker, the Pint.
We're getting ready for a comp in Seaside in September. We hope it will arrive in the next 2 weeks so we can practice. We've never used a cabinet style smoker.
I was hoping you guys could lend some advice on seasoning it. I also did some research on fuel and decided to get some bags of The Good One from Firecraft. Was wondering how you liked that compared to all the others out there. Appreciate any advice you can offer.
We also use a Weber 26 one touch, a Meadow Creek offset SX36, and a PBC which I don't plan on using anymore at least for comps. Thanks.

Love my Pint! You're going to love it, it's a great cooker made by great people. For seasoning you can spray the inside liberally with cooking spray or rub it down with Crisco or something similar. Before you do just remove everything and shop vac the inside and wipe down the inside with a damp towel just to get all the machining dust/bits out of it. As far as starting it, I go back and forth with lump and briquettes but both I just fill the basket up with either and scatter around my wood chunks and leave a nice size of the corner with the air intake open and put the hot coals in that corner. Takes like 30/40 minutes to get to 240/245 and then it doesn't move from there for hours! Enjoy it. Post pics when you get it!! #teamhumphreys

hit up the search button on here for Humphreys and you will surely find a lot of info on seasoning and operation. I have two BBs, and they work well. Like biggs said, shop vac it and wipe it out first as there is a surprisingly large amount of debris and dust you want out of there before seasoning. Careful, as you may find a sharp shard or two, so wipe with caution.

Spray with Pam and cook at 300 degrees for a couple hours and she is good to go.

I highly recommend the stainless grates as they make cleanup much easier. A pressure washer and some simple green and you are set. With the steel racks you will have a chore to get them clean. Oh, and by cooking in stainless pans, it saves the mess as well. Gradually moving in that direction full time.

Love my pint. Very fuel efficient and hold temps very well.

I also cook in pans but am switching to no pans bc of airflow. With the pint the pans really restrict the airflow of the smoker. You can absolutely cook with pans but just need to adjust for the restricted airflow.

Also I've noticed it cooks a bit slower than my WSMs at the same temps. I'm thinking this is an airflow thing as well. Just have to adjust for that as well.

You'll love the Humphrey's. Very nice smoker

Back