Hudson Valley RibFest (NY State Championship)

Perhaps you can fill the whole class in on how the entire Jack McDavid "incident" unfolded, Will?

Another great contest by Mike Fick & co...
great to be able to hang out with all you brethren folks...
thanks Jorge again for the snausage...we owe you

so does anyone want to cook warren next weekend<g>?
nancee

Our first competition was a great experience. It is something that we had been talking and dreaming about for over 10 years. When the last turn it passed we looked at each other, smiled and said we really did it, we did it! We are hooked and are already planning our next comp. This was a wonderful learning experience. Participating in the NEBS Grilling contest was alot more work but really helped. Our first entry Fish came in fifth with 60 seconds to spare, Pork Chop came in eleventh with 39 seconds to spare (no time for a picture of the presentation box)...whew.. they don't teach this in books. It really helped us with the KCBS presentations all in with a much better time margin. We had fun taking turns turning in the Grilling boxes but realised that we needed to have a designated runner, slicer, glazer and box preparer and keep to schedule. We did not place but came close with 6th in Pork. (4 of the top 6 in that category were Brethren Teams!). 20/42 Teams in KCBS, also 17th Ribs, not bad for our first comp. We had many well wishers. We made alot of new friends. Everyone we met was helpful and supportive. It is a good feeling to be on the inside of the competition after being on the outside wondering what it would be like to compete for so long. We really enjoyed answering questions eg: "are those real wood chunks? Applewood? Wow!" or "is this a Sauce Competition?" "where can we buy or try some of your BBQ?". Having to explain to family that we are in a competition and not here as vendors or to cook dinner for them, had a strict schedule to follow and that they had to wait until after turn in on Sunday for the ribs, brisket, pulled pork etc... was an interesting situation. We made mistakes and learned from them. At meat inspection we were asked where our fire extinguisher was .. I looked and saw QHaven's hanging on their canopy support and said right there of course...that will do. Same answer to the hose question. We did bring the Y but also forgot the hose. Thank you Ted and Qhaven for your help! It was nice having your team by our side during our first comp. You are a great group and it was reassuring having fellow Brethren and Connecticutters near by. To be told if you need anything or any help let us know is a good feeling. We especially enjoyed the words of advice from Willy B. "lose the pants and the belt... this is Barbeque!" I am not ready yet for the Kilt Mod. but advice well taken. The Brethren Forum has accelerated the learning curve as well. We actually did enjoy cooking in the rain and found the river running through our spot interesting as it allowed for some inovative manuvers, especially with all the visitors and having forgotten to bring our other canopy. A lesson in site selection! I am rambling on and still hapily exhausted. Congrats to all the Brethren Teams and their great finish. It was nice to meet and talk to you in person. We look forward to doing it again!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff, Craig and Don
Primal Meat Smokers

Last edited:
Wow! That's the way to start out with a bang, CTSmokehouse! You all can be very proud of your showing and I'm sure it'll only get better from here. It really was a well run event and Stephanie stopped by at least twice to ask if there was anything they could do to make it better next year.

Next time, though, I'm setting up closer to the rest of the brethren. We definitely missed out on alot of great advice/assistance when it was probably needed. :-D

Good times - Clint

Yee-HA! Another FINE showing by Brethren teams! I am doing the happy dance! I am proud to say that I know all y'all!
Congrats to everyone who got called, and especially to those who 'got their Q on' and competed for the first time! No small task.
Hudson Valley is on our 'don't miss' list for 2007. Maybe I'll just send the application in now....heheh
Best of Luck to all teams competing in New Holland, PA and Warren, NH next weekend!!!
Maybe we'll see y'all in Lowell, MA in September. I wanna rub those trophies!

lunchlady

lunchlady said:
Maybe we'll see y'all in Lowell, MA in September. I wanna rub those trophies!

lunchlady

Michelle,

I have a trophy you can rub!!!

Sorry I couldn't help it, you set yourself up for that.

G$ said:
Don't make us beg.

This is the exact moment Jack McDavid officially took over Will's rib demonstration.

Last edited by a moderator:
chad said:
Looks like Will is sweating gravy!:-D

Reminds me of that show McDavid had with Bobby Flay. He always got exascerbated and started shaking his head and talkin' real fast when Flay turned up the gas.

ok here are some pictures of me showing Jack McDavid how to do ribs. I also cant figure out why we didnt do so well in brisket. I felt it was our best yet

Attachments

• 458B046A-B092-0E6A-EFA4476044647E69.jpg
    458B046A-B092-0E6A-EFA4476044647E69.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 458BB39D-DFA7-FC47-9A458DCD0D17F32B.jpg
    458BB39D-DFA7-FC47-9A458DCD0D17F32B.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 92
  • 4588C29E-BE27-C920-6F47CDC74B191A3E.jpg
    4588C29E-BE27-C920-6F47CDC74B191A3E.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 93
Sorry I missed the "show." Must have been entertaining to say the least.

Was nice meeting you at the contest Will, and sharing a few late Friday night.

rbsnwngs said:
I also cant figure out why we didnt do so well in brisket. I felt it was our best yet

I would agree. Once they got past that tinny taste and the jelly-like coating, I thought you guys would really blow the judges away. And turning it in in a dog-bowl?!!! Trully inspired!!

Oh well. Better luck next time! :-D

- Clint

SmokeInDaEye said:
I would agree. Once they got past that tinny taste and the jelly-like coating, I thought you guys would really blow the judges away. And turning it in in a dog-bowl?!!! Trully inspired!!

Oh well. Better luck next time! :-D

- Clint

You have no idea how close to the truth most of that is:oops: :lol:

We had a great time at the Hudson Valley Ribfest. Our team got 1st for fish in the NEBS competition, and was 11th in ribs in KCBS. This was our 3rd event, and we were very impressed at how well run it was. We had a little excitement on the way home. While traveling south on the NYSThroughway at 65mph, we sheared off all 5 lug bolts and lost the passenger side rear wheel of our van. Not a lot of fun then. We got it stopped, and all survived intact, but it was a bad ending to a great weekend.

wlgarner said:
We had a great time at the Hudson Valley Ribfest. Our team got 1st for fish in the NEBS competition, and was 11th in ribs in KCBS. This was our 3rd event, and we were very impressed at how well run it was. We had a little excitement on the way home. While traveling south on the NYSThroughway at 65mph, we sheared off all 5 lug bolts and lost the passenger side rear wheel of our van. Not a lot of fun then. We got it stopped, and all survived intact, but it was a bad ending to a great weekend.

Ah, our new friends in the kilts! Welcome to the site and sorry to hear about the drive home. Luckily everyone was OK. Me and the guys had a blast hanging out with your team (and Catfish, of course) and hope to see you again soon.

- Clint

It was a pleasure to meet Memphis City BBQ. So glad that no one was injured. It really was a well run event. Craig, Don and I look forward to spending time with you guys again. You're a fun bunch. Where can we get kilts and jackets too? Will B.wants me to lose the pants and the belt.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back