How to handle contest winnings

I think the main reasoning behind forming an LLC is not to handle money but to limit your personal liability from any actions that may arrise out of your actions of the BBQ team. I know that a few folks here that operate under an LLC I'm in the process of forming an LLC now for just that reason

Got this from a google search
(As we all know, not all information on the 'interwebs' is correct... so I would check with a professional):

LLC vs LTD

LLC offers its owners the advantage of limited personal liability and a choice of how the business will be taxed. Partners can choose for the LLC to be taxed as a separate entity or as a partnership-like entity in which profits are passed through to partners and taxed on their personal income tax returns. Although state laws governing creation of LLCs and IRS regulations controlling their federal tax status are still evolving because of their flexibility LLCs are increasingly regarded as the small business legal entity of choice. LTD is A business structure in which shareholder responsibility for company debt is limited to the amount he/she has invested in the company.

For now I got an DBA(doing business as) from the state($7) online. This let me get a checking account in the team name. We will decide at the end of the year if we want to go LLC. I talked with my tax guy yesterday and as a hobby it seems I would be able to write off my expenses until I had a zero tax liability and no more. This may be under a partnership but I am not sure of all of the details. Thanks for all of the info.

What's the difference between an LLC and an LTD?

i will give you the very generic version. A Ltd. is a limited partnership. Therefore you are subject to any claims that might be brought against the Ltd. If you were an LLC, you would not be liable.

I am a LLC and actually took a loss last year and it helped out on my taxes. There is a hobby tax that you can claim if you are using personal but there is a max on it, I think around 2100, I would advise to speak with an accountant they shoul be able to lead you in the right direction. My LLC for Jacked Up BBQ actually saved me 2400 in taxes this year which if I had used it as a personal hobby would have never gotten the tax credit. Good luck.

We formed a C corp, for the purposes of keeping our bbq empire seperate from personal taxes, as 50/50 owners it will make the tax process much easier, than trying to figure out personal taxes when a 1099 comes in only one of our names. As far as the LTD vs LLC vs PC vs INC etc, when I asked my tax guy to explain, he stated that because we are a C corp with a seperate tax return the LTD really doesn't mean much its just a name. An LLC is an S Corp that does not file its own return and it flows through to your personal taxes.

So if I understand this correctly an LLC is an S corp and if you become a C corp the LTD, INC designates that you have become incorporated. Its really the the type of corp you are that defines the amount of liability you have and how it is taxed.

Some please correct me, if this is not right

I went from an LLC to an S-Corp. I own a forum that generates decent income. So what i did was i took my forum as one dba and added my bbq gig as a second dba. I filed a new S- Corp under a generic name. What this allows me to do is write off a loss obviously. So, equipment, trailer, supplies, etc can all be calculated into this whole business figure.

LLCs and S-Corps are very similiar as it still protects your from absorbing personal debt if the business fails. Where the S-Corp excels over the LLC is when it comes to monies distributed and how its taxed. An LLC is basically a double tax. See below for an explanation:

A major factor that differentiates an S corporation from an LLC is the employment tax that is paid on earnings. The owner of an LLC is considered to be self-employed and, as such, must pay a “self-employment tax” of 15.3% which goes toward social security and Medicare. The entire net income of the business is subject to self-employment tax.*

In an S corporation, only the salary paid to the employee-owner is subject to employment tax. The remaining income that is paid as a distribution is not subject to employment tax under IRS rules. Therefore, there is the potential to realize substantial employment tax savings. Case in point:

Mary owns a print shop. In keeping with the industry standard, Mary decides that a reasonable salary for a print shop manager is $35,000 and pays herself accordingly. Mary’s total earnings for the year are $60,000: $35,000 paid in salary and the remaining $25,000 paid as a distribution from the S corp. Mary’s total employment tax is $5,355 (15.3% of $35,000).

If Mary were the owner of an LLC, she would have to pay employment tax on the entire $60,000, equaling $9,180. But as an S corporation, she realizes savings of $3,825 in employment tax.

One might assume that these savings could be further manipulated by reducing the salary to an extremely low amount and attributing the rest of one’s earnings to distributions—but this would be an incorrect assumption. In practice, the IRS is careful to notice whether a salary is reasonable by industry standards. If it determines a salary to be unreasonable, the IRS will not hesitate to reclassify distributions as salary.

Now, the largest disadvantage to a S-Corp is you do a pay as you go tax and if late when payment is due, you incur fee's/penalties on it. An LLC is much easier as you pay by a annual tax due by April 15th. Its confusing stuff and a CPA or tax person is needed to handle the paperwork. I see about 70% of competitors go into catering anyhow so you do have an advantage here, esp if the business doesnt take off like first anticipated.

Back