How NOT to behave at a BBQ competition

Sounds like fiction without any names...

Naming a name doesnt make it fiction or non-fiction. I'm either telling a lie
(as you posted above), or I'm not. A name applied doesn't change it one
way or another.

Plus, that's not the point at all. It was intended as a type of PSA. If that's
missed in the message, then it is, and I suppose that's that.

I hope the newer competitors understand that while competing is fun and
to be enjoyed, it should be enjoyed every day, win or lose, good outing or bad.
And good sportsmanship never goes out of style.

Last edited:
I think you would have gotten your message across more if you didn't go on and on about how this was an elite team, with a revered head cook and a mysterious event and all of the other details which appear to only really be added to titillate.

The message could have been made by saying that recently you were at a competition and one of the competitors was really upset about not finishing well and then became a jerk and did the following.......You could then have gone on to say that it was boorish behavior and that it really shouldn't be allowed and it's not something that should be imitated.

It's the same message without all of the extra fluff which in the end appears to cloud your original intent.

My $0.02.

Matt, thanks, and point well made and taken. I did go on and on. I was trying to
say/show that this individual had worked hard for many years and earned his elite
status, and in 1 fail swoop that's gone, at least at that 1 particular comp. I probably
should've said that much like I did ^^^ rather than going on and on and adding
the appearance of titillation.

I dont think it really matters who it is,or their "status level" when someone puts other people in danger its plain farked up...

Seriously? The whole dog and pony show thing again? I know its more complicated than doing a blind box, but if you think its just about talking a good game you've got another thing coming.

Pete's right, you need a good product too. I saw them sweep the MIM comp in DC this year and beat out JOS who has won the 4 previous years. That doesn't happen without good BBQ. But, it helps to have a good story and set-up too. It's all a matter of what you like doing.

Pete's right, you need a good product too. I saw them sweep the MIM comp in DC this year and beat out JOS who has won the 4 previous years. That doesn't happen without good BBQ. But, it helps to have a good story and set-up too. It's all a matter of what you like doing.

Having only observed MBN in DC this year, it seems to me that it would be easier to take a loss personally than in KCBS. I have a lot of respect for MBN, but I think the anonymity of KCBS makes losses less personal. As far as advice to new teams- you should already know not to be a jerk and drive your truck through a crowd. Good discussion though.

Seriously? The whole dog and pony show thing again? I know its more complicated than doing a blind box, but if you think its just about talking a good game you've got another thing coming.

My bad. Didn't mean to be offensive, just my experience. In no way was I trying to put down what you guys do. No disrespect intended.

Scottie

Since I'm turning pro in MBN soon, are their any MBN centric boards out there? I've looked and can't find any.

Mark

That's a great question, and if you find one, please let me know also.

Otherwise, for general BBQ and competition questions and answers,
it's going to be tough to beat brethren, no matter what it is....

If your only experience is DC I can certainly understand not caring for MIM style. While we had a great trip up there this year, it is not a well run contest (no offense to the organizers, it is a logistical nightmare I'm sure). There is a definite difference in the style of meat as well, and other skillsets come into play- ability to cook larger quantities, holding meat etc. To us it is more challenging and fun, especially when you make finals. It is more personal, which is why we love it- gets the adrenaline going.
All that being said we love KCBS too, it's just different, but a LOT less work and expense. We are going to do a MBN heavy schedule the rest of this year (try to get that TOY again) and go KCBS heavy next yr.

Knock 'em dead Pete!!! I really enjoy the on-site, its a love / hate relationship. Not
only do you have to show, but show CLEANLY. Easy to put together a blind box while
being a sweaty mess and go on to the next. Can't do that in MIM/MBN. Maybe we'll
catch you guys at Big Pig Jig or Jackson GA this year.

Oh, regarding Big Pig, bring ant killer. Lots and lots of it.

Knock 'em dead Pete!!! I really enjoy the on-site, its a love / hate relationship. Not
only do you have to show, but show CLEANLY. Easy to put together a blind box while
being a sweaty mess and go on to the next. Can't do that in MIM/MBN. Maybe we'll
catch you guys at Big Pig Jig or Jackson GA this year.

Oh, regarding Big Pig, bring ant killer. Lots and lots of it.

KCBS is also cooking 4 categories, not just Pork. I dont think one is easier than the other, I just think it depends what you prefer.

It will come back to haunt him in the end...people tend to remember who shakes their hand after a win...being a poor sport is not a good way to win fans...or friends...:cool:

Don't know the person involved...All I know is I used to drink a lot at competitions, hell, I drank a lot everywhere...not saying he did. I am sure glad I was given a second chance to make up for some of my indiscrestions...some people took me back and embraced my change, others to this day have not and I have not had a drop in over 4 years...I can understand that, I was a Richard head...Hope he gets a second chance, hope even more he lives up to it and deserves it.

Mod Note: Several posts have been deleted, at least temporarily. Accusations were made, personal information was posted and at this time we have no way to verify it.

Until I'm able to get some answers, I'd appreciate it if posts similar to that did not appear again. If you posted something containing an accusation or personal information about someone else, you can expect a PM from me to gather more information. Once we have the information we will determine whether or not the posts need to be restored.

Thanks for your patience and understanding while we look into this.

Mod Note: After checking with Lake Dogs, the name mentioned was not the person he was referring to. Additional information indicates that this may have been a joke amongst friends.

Personally, I'm not laughing. Posting something that close friends may understand as a joke, that borders on slander/libel is not acceptable here. The calls, PMs, and email I dealt with this morning indicate that more than one person took the joke as gospel.

Not cool, not acceptable, period.

In the future, anyone posting information that could possibly be considered slanderous or libelous better have evidence ready to present, and be willing to stand behind it in public.

Rub Bagby - Swamp Boys - Did Not Do This!

Just so everybody knows, this person was not Rob Bagby. For all of you that know him, you know he is one of the greatest people cooking. We mess with Rub from time to time to keep him young, but he was on vacation and couldn't tell me to go play in traffic.

We have no idea who this person was and Rub has never competed MBN that we know of.

DON'T SEND RUB HATE MAIL...IT WASN'T HIM.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Mod Note: Folks, I just did some additional cleanup and I'd appreciate it if I didn't have to do any more this weekend. Sorting this out as quickly as possible, for obvious reasons, ate up 1 1/2 hours of my work day. I work for myself so I have the flexibility, but that time has to be made up at some point in order for me to meet deadlines.

What's been done, is done. The member responsible, for what I DO believe was a joke, stepped up and cleared the record. I've left their post up to make it clear that they have stepped up and taken responsibility. It wasn't left so that everyone could take a shot as they twist in the proverbial wind.

Myself and other moderators WILL enforce the rules to all subsequent posts. This thread should be considered a ZERO TOLERANCE zone. If you have something of value to add to the original topic then please feel free. If you have any commentary to offer about the issue/joke that sidetracked this thread for a day please save it for another time and place.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Back