THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Q

Quigley

It has been a LONG time since I catered and have forgotten some things.

I have been asked to cook a pre deployment BBQ for my son's submarine crew and family. I will cook 32 butts, beans, etc.

About how much rub should I order for 32 butts, and approx how many gallons of sauce?

I plan on 3 4inch pans each of slaw, beans, and potato salad.

Thanks.

5 lbs of rub minimum. Maybe more if you put a lot on.

Sauce - depends. I can get nearly 4 butts in one full steam pan. That's about 16 lbs of pork and I can add at least a half gallon to that. And you'll want extra for people to add if they want. And I always use the same sauce for beans.

Unless you plan on foiling all of those butts, I would not do much more then salt and pepper on them. Rubbing those butts will leave you with a hard almost inedible bark unless you have a super moist cooker. I for one have a moist cooker si I can cook without foil all the way, just be real careful it can turn to a lot of waste. If I am cooking high heat and cannot foil I will add rub after pulled for the flavor.

i will foil at some point. I use FEC100's

16 butts per FEC

I do cooks like that on a regular basis at 275 on my FE's. Takes about 12 hours and stays super moist. I don't foil.

Back