THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shotgun smokers

Full Fledged Farker
I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

It kind of depends on how creative you are.
I have 18.5 WSMs, and when I have a big cook, I have gotten 6 butts to a WSM. You might be able to fit a but and brisket on each rack.

I have the 22.5 WSM and you can get both butts and briskets on it. I would put 1 butt and 1 brisket on each rack. Put the briskets on one side of rack and butts on the other side that way your brisket drips on the other brisket on lower rack.

I know how much meat you can get on a MM 3000, which is roughly 7 - 8 miles from you.

Easy to get at least 6 butts on my 18.5 - I think the brisket will be a little tricky though. Unless you combine brisket and butts on each level which could work...Probably one butt and one brisket per level.

I just bought a WSM 22.5 and I was curious to see how much meat I could fit on there. I am planning on doing a big smoke this weekend at the coast and I have all the meat purchased, I just need to have an idea about how many times Im going to do it. Is it realistic to fit two butts and 2 briskets on there? The briskets are both 12 lbs and the pork butts are about 7 lbs. Tell me what you all think. Thanks!

I can't imagine you will have any issue at all because on an 18.5" WSM you can easily do one brisket (top shelf) and two butts (bottom shelf). A 22" is substantially more space.

Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.

Agreed, 2 butts and 2 briskets will be fine which I have done many times. I would recommend putting a butt and brisket on each rack for better air flow. If you put both briskets on 1 rack, you will have very limited airflow which will effect your temps. If you don't have enough space for the air to flow, you will have a tough time getting the temp up.

I also like to put some foil under the briskets where the ends run up to the edge. I do this to keep the ends from burning because the heat from the fire will be blasting upward. The technique works great for me.

Back