How much do you pay for your meat?

Pork shoulder - £2.49 per KG / $1.72 per lb
Untrimmed ribs - £3.80 per KG / $2.63 per lb
Brisket (rolled) - £6.99 per KG / $4.83 per lb

The last time I bought brisket it was $2.78/lb but that was months ago. I can get whole slab ribs every day of the year for $1.99/lb, sometimes they go on sale for $1.49/lb. Shoulder picnics are usually $1.29/lb, $ .99/lb on sale. I can usually find pork belly for around $2.80/lb and we started carrying beef ribs again at $2.49/lb. Sometimes the beef ribs come in with loose cryo and we have to mark them down- I just snagged 4 x 2 packs the other day for $1.24/lb.

Butts: $1.78/lb (they were $1.29 until through the Winter and some of the Spring)
Brisket Flats: $4.18/lb. (Seeing a packer around here is like seeing a unicorn)

Can't remember the exact prices of ribs, but 3 racks of BB's from Sam's will run around $30, give or take. By far the cheapest place in town to get them.

I must live in the highest priced area for meat there is. I can't get any beef a tough chuck roast on sale is at least 3.99 , a good steak runs 7.99 up, Tri-tip and brisket run 4.99 and 3.99 for a packer. Even whole chicken is at least .99 a pound on sale. Pork butt varies from 1.49-2.39, ribs I've never seen for less than 2.49 on sale and usually at least 2.99.

You guys are making me cry. We pay anywhere from 2x to 5x those prices here.

I work for the Aussie division of a Fortune 500 company, and we often have visitors over from the states. They can't believe what restaurants charge for a steak, and the last guys I had over worked out we pay more here for Aussie lamb at the supermarket or butcher, than what they do back home.

Forget oil, meat sellers are the cartels to look out for in Australia!

My sister and her hubby live in Sydney and can concur with the Lamb being cheaper in the US than in Australia.

I think it varies by region, but here in Metro Detroit I've seen(and bought) full packer briskets at Wally World for $2.58lb. The other day I was there and spotted a picnic butt for $1.38lb. Chicken $.99lb. Pretty good prices IMO.

Back