How Many People on Competition Team?

The more the merrier for us.:becky: As we get further away from home, it is typically just me and my wife and/or father-in-law. For closer to home comps it is not uncommon to have 20 friends and family show up to get a taste and have a good time. This is the reason we initially set up the team. They are there for more the 'party' though, and support--the main members are me, my wife and her Dad. My Dad (Big T) used to be before his health problems. And then there is always my Mom who attends regularly to cheer (scream) us on during awards. :laugh:

We've ran most of our comps with 2, but are at 3 this year, and both are working equally well. Most of the time when we pull in extra folks, they are there for the social aspect of the comp rather than truly contributing to the end product.

John has ran a few of the events for our teams as a one man show, and it is a horrendeous amount of work.

We generally like to have 4 but it’s not uncommon for us to have an extra person or two… One of the basic rules is that there is ALWAYS two awake to watch the Mistress…

As for the division of labor:
  • I’m the Pitmaster… I’m in charge of any thing that happens from what we pack in the trailer to how we layout the site to how the meat finally comes out. I also do all of the purchasing of supplies and meat for all of the competitions.
It’s my team, I put it together, it’s not a democracy but a benevolent dictatorship. I know that it sounds harsh but it’s actually the best way for us: one leader who takes responsibility for the final decisions rather than a committee. I’ve seen teams dissolve because no one could or was allowed to make a decision. Please don’t get me wrong, I listen to all that my team says, asks, and suggests, but I’m the one that makes the choice to act on it or not.
  • Kathy does our Lettuce Boxes, is the team ‘Mom’, and works with Angelo on the box presentations, and is our head runner. She also works with me in keeping the ‘Competition Cook Book’ up to date and basically makes sure that we behave our selves. Kathy joined us last year.
  • Angelo does our Parsley Boxes, assists me in seasoning the meat, and works with Kathy on the box presentations, as well as constantly trying to get me into trouble. Angelo has been with me since we created the team four years ago.
  • Nondas is in charge of the Mistress as well as generally keeping the site clean, and just having fun. He is one of the few that can keep our Lang within 5* end to end. Nondas has also been with me since the start.
  • Todd works with Nondas in stoking the Mistress as well as helping out where ever he is needed. Todd started our second year of competing and unfortunatly isn't at all of our competitions..
I think the biggest thing is that most of our jobs can be done by just about any one else on the team so if one of us is busy farking around with another team, another one of us can step up to the plate. There are others that come by for a comp every now and then, and then move on, but that’s our basic break down.

I have no idea how people do it with one or 2 people. We only have done one contest but with 3 of us we were still scrambling. I guess with more experience it gets easier but you need a runner and a cook it would seem for sure so that's 2 people minimum

I think the biggest thing is that most of our jobs can be done by just about any one else on the team so if one of us is busy farking around with another team, another one of us can step up to the plate. There are others that come by for a comp every now and then, and then move on, but that’s our basic break down. __________________ This is the best info on this thread for any rookie team I think. Mogreen and I can do what ever if I am off cutting up he knows what is going on and vice versa our ladies handle the cleaning and boxes. I done a comp a few weeks ago had a friend come alone and it was rough, 1 call he didnt know what to do and wouldnt question or ask what I was doing. Last weekend I had another friend who cooks competitvly help and if I wasnt there he would do it or call me in, got 3 calls that weekend, its important for everyone on the team to know what is going on and what to do.

We generally like to have 4 but it’s not uncommon for us to have an extra person or two… One of the basic rules is that there is ALWAYS two awake to watch the Mistress…

As for the division of labor:
  • I’m the Pitmaster… I’m in charge of any thing that happens from what we pack in the trailer to how we layout the site to how the meat finally comes out. I also do all of the purchasing of supplies and meat for all of the competitions.
It’s my team, I put it together, it’s not a democracy but a benevolent dictatorship. I know that it sounds harsh but it’s actually the best way for us: one leader who takes responsibility for the final decisions rather than a committee. I’ve seen teams dissolve because no one could or was allowed to make a decision. Please don’t get me wrong, I listen to all that my team says, asks, and suggests, but I’m the one that makes the choice to act on it or not.
  • Kathy does our Lettuce Boxes, is the team ‘Mom’, and works with Angelo on the box presentations, and is our head runner. She also works with me in keeping the ‘Competition Cook Book’ up to date and basically makes sure that we behave our selves. Kathy joined us last year.
  • Angelo does our Parsley Boxes, assists me in seasoning the meat, and works with Kathy on the box presentations, as well as constantly trying to get me into trouble. Angelo has been with me since we created the team four years ago.
  • Nondas is in charge of the Mistress as well as generally keeping the site clean, and just having fun. He is one of the few that can keep our Lang within 5* end to end. Nondas has also been with me since the start.
  • Todd works with Nondas in stoking the Mistress as well as helping out where ever he is needed. Todd started our second year of competing and unfortunatly isn't at all of our competitions..
I think the biggest thing is that most of our jobs can be done by just about any one else on the team so if one of us is busy farking around with another team, another one of us can step up to the plate. There are others that come by for a comp every now and then, and then move on, but that’s our basic break down.
who makes the raki? Angelo or Nondas? :-D..that was some fine stuff

Team of four, thats including kids....:heh:
I do all the work, wife takes all the credit :thumb:
Works for us

Most of the time, it is me and my brother-in-law. I've done three competitions by myself and it's not that bad, but you just don't get many breaks. I prefer to have one other person, especially when unloading/loading, building boxes, and running boxes. Everything else is pretty reasonable for one person to handle. Having another person lets me socialize more. So, I'd say two is the best number for me.

Back