How many comps?

First year: 3
Second Year: 3
Third Year: 7
Fourth Year : 8
This Year: 5

Got a call in our second ever contest.

it's farkin crazy how some teams go out and win GC after GC, and others chase it for years.

i mean after 70 plus events i'm sure you know a thing or two about competition cooking and yet?

seems to me something in the system isn't quite right. (please, i'm not flaming, really).

I don't cook enough to be consistent. I get my calls, but I always bomb something. Last comp a 25/93 in pork cost me RGC or GC...

The Oklahoma crowd(Buffalo, Butcher, LPT, Kosmo, etc , etc...) bring their "A game" every time and they all cook much more than I do...

Never taken a class, probably will at some point...

No offense taken at all. I'll hit when I can start cooking a lot again...

2 my first year, got a call in Chicken on the second

6 last year, calls in all except my local hometown comp.

3 this year, no call in the 1st local comp, 1 call in a nearby comp & 3 calls in the 2nd local comp including 1st in Ribs (High Heat Ribs at that!!!) 1 more on the schedule this weekend (Sam's)

When you guys were starting out, how many competitions a year did you do?
Also, how long did it take to get your first call?
We have been doing 1 a year, but want to increase to 2 or 3. We're still waiting for our first call.

Maybe 3, I think 5 was the most we have ever done in a year and this is our 10th year.

Got 1st & 5th in first contest.

2006: 1 contest, barely avoiding getting DQ'd
2007: 1 contest, 2nd in chicken
2008: 3 contests, 1st brisket in one, 3rd pork in another
2009: 8 contests we are trying to forget, including our first DQ, but we learned a lot by cooking more and taking our first class.

Now we do 15 or more contests a year, get a reasonable number of calls, and hit our first GC in our 42nd contest.

The classes helped, and cooked and practicing more made a huge difference. We knew we turned the corner when we found ourselves one morning during turn ins with nothing to do. Everything was under control and on schedule. That happens more now, but when we first started it always seemed like we were competing mostly with the clock.

1st year - 9 contests.

We are fortunate enough (or unfortunate enough, depending on how you look at it) to compete in the Kansas City area, so there is at least one comp within a 2 hour drive almost every weekend from April to October, though.

Back