How many bones per rib plate?

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Hey brethren, for those of you that sell ribs when you vend (or even at your restaurant). How many bones do you put on a regular order? Two, three, four and how much do you charge?

Thanks in advance.

3 bones for $7-8 and two sides is a decent meal...but you had better be putting quality pieces on the plate. If you have a couple of bones that are shy of some meat or have a good bit of obvious fat, you might want to throw another on the plate.

Otherwise, if it's me and I'm giving you a chance with ribs and you put 1 out of three on there that ain't worth eating, I am not coming back.

At the restaurant I do a "3 bone" rib lunch with one side for $8.95. I usually give 4 bones to make it look good. But I will sell a rack of ribs for $27 all day.

I don't vend or sell anymore, but, I have a question...

what size racks do you all use, three bones off a 1.5 and down is not the same as three bones off of a 2.5 and down. I hate getting a plate of ribs, only to find the three bones are off a piglet

As a customer, I am very happy when I get an extra rib thrown in or have extra meaty ribs (and an extra one thrown in). When I get a skimpy rib plate, I usually don't go back. The places I frequent all tend to throw in an extra, actually.

I don't vend or sell anymore, but, I have a question...

what size racks do you all use, three bones off a 1.5 and down is not the same as three bones off of a 2.5 and down. I hate getting a plate of ribs, only to find the three bones are off a piglet

I'm using BB from IBP. The last case I picked up was 60 lbs. There are 18 racks in a case. These things averaged 3.3 lbs/rack. They weren't overly large but they are nice and meaty.

As a customer, I am very happy when I get an extra rib thrown in or have extra meaty ribs (and an extra one thrown in). When I get a skimpy rib plate, I usually don't go back. The places I frequent all tend to throw in an extra, actually.

As another consumer, I am more influenced by the quality and meatiness of the ribs on a rib plate. I want to be satisfied, not stuffed.

I also want the ribs to be the star, and the sides to be... sides. So, I don't know if there is a magic number of ribs. It is more about finding the right combination of ribs and sides.

I don't know if that helped. I hope so.

CD

Back