How many bags of charcoal do you guys go through a year?

NY Pork Junkie

Knows what a fatty is.
I used to go through about three $25.00 propane tanks a year before I switched over to charcoal. I find charcoal to be a bit more expensive.:icon_smile_tongue: I've gone through 4 bags just in the last month alone! At $10.00 a bag, that get's a bit spendy.

My PBC is a big part of that. She eats about 1/4 bag with every cook. I don't regret getting rid of my gassers and switching to charcoal; my bbq has improved by an order of magnitude. I look at it as an investment in my relationships with friends and family through outstanding meals and cold brews enjoyed with friends while "tending the fire". Even so, it's a dang expensive hobby.

I expect I'll spend $300 on charcoal over the next year, and that's before I start shelling out $ for meat! :shocked:

I'm curious. How many 20lb bags do you guys estimate you go through a year?

HnfXc1Nl.jpg

I average a bag a weekend and make stuff for the week. I look at is like part of the cost for the cook. Plus some of my bags are 8-9 pound bags that were bundled together for $10 at Home Depot, Lowe's, or Walmart. Dollar cost average your charcoal, son! Load up on the major grilling holidays (Memorial Day, 4th, Labor Day).

Yep. Wait until late summer, early fall when it is on deep discount. I got 20 lb bags of Weber for $3 per.

Too bad propane never goes on sale.

320 pounds in 1.5 years was the last purchase. 40 pounds left so I won't make it until the next "spring" sale.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As others have said, stock up when KBB goes on sale at 2 for $9.88. In the meantime, last time I was at Lowe’s I saw Royal Oak briquettes for about $7.
You can also save some charcoal on your PBC by using magnets and tinfoil to shut it down. The leftover charcoal can be reused (I dump a small chimney of fresh charcoal on it).

I go thru 400 to 500 pounds a year. You have to catch the sales. Home Depot and Lowe's has sales on Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day. Labor Day I make sure I have enough for the winter. I buy Frontier Lump when BJ's has it on sale. Any sale in between is just a bonus :becky:

2 tricks. Buy on sale and don't do the math. Wait until you get a stick burner and have to buy a cord of wood.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I can only wish. A cord of hardwood (maple, oak, ash mostly) costs me about $125. I imagine I could cook an awful lot of pork butts with a cord of wood!

As others have said, stock up when KBB goes on sale at 2 for $9.88. In the meantime, last time I was at Lowe’s I saw Royal Oak briquettes for about $7.
You can also save some charcoal on your PBC by using magnets and tinfoil to shut it down. The leftover charcoal can be reused (I dump a small chimney of fresh charcoal on it).

Yep. I am finding I can get three one hour or less cooks out of one 3/4 chimney of Weber. Like that stuff.

Last edited:
I have no idea. And like mentioned above, don't want to know.
But I can only store 12 bags of briquettes/lump. So I pick up 10 bags every few weeks. Got to go again the next couple days.
And yes, buying cords ain't cheap. There is still alot of work to do if it is already split.
I'm looking right now for another load that I will split with SmokeNinja.

If you're able to get a cord for 125 bucks consistently, you need to be cooking with wood.

That's the price I can get buying a full sized logging truck delivered. My Dad heats his 2600sqft colonial home exclusively with wood through the cold Maine winters, and he goes through about 6 cord a year. A logging truck is about 7-8 cords. Granted it still has to be sectioned and split, but it's a weekend worth of work for 2 men. There's 16 cord of hardwood in his wood shed at the moment!

It's still only $250/cord seasoned, split, and delivered the way normal people do it though. Lot's of loggers and lots of trees keeps the price low.

Amazing. I pay 100 bucks for a rick delivered and stacked. Or I can drive 1.5 hrs one way for free wood.

I usually start the winter grilling season (the best one by the way) with about 36 bags that I accumulated from sales during the summer. This summer was all Weber charcoal (Target) and Royal Oak (Home Depot). Never pay full price for charcoal, its not American.

Back