THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

to OP:

Cowboy is a great charcoal for searing steaks and chops, because it gets hot and it's cheap. For low and slow, I'd look elsewhere.

I have gotten 20+ hours cooking on a load of wicked good weekend warrior. This month I loaded up the firebox to the firering with wicked good, lit it (i use an electric starter), and did 20lbs of baby backs for 6 hours at 250, and shut it down. The next day, another 20lbs, 7 hours at 250, and shut it down. I still had enough coals the next day for a 350 chicken spatchcock for an hour, and still some left over. This was all in the wintertime, and it's cold and windy here in January, and includes startup/warmup times. No charcoal was added.

The bottom line: Wicked good costs more, but you use less of it, so it's a wash. It's dense as hell.

Walmarts around the country have been receiving Royal Oak lump, it's VERY cheap and VERY good. $6.37 for a 10lb bag. I'm stocking up for next winter already, everytime I go in, I get 2 more bags.

I'm itching to try the lump I got from Fred's Music and BBQ, his special no name restaurant grade lump. I heard its rediculous, about the same price as wickedgood too.

I have done 24 hour burns at 250º Dome using 10 Lb of RO with lump left over, I light it up with a Mapp Torch in several places. I really like the Wicked Good but they do not carry it here. May have to make a trip to Phoenix if it still available there.

I've been meaning to pick up Dragons Breath charcoal. It got a Very Highly recommended review at nakedwiz and is the same price as Cowboy. Just need to find the time to head to the store that has it, it's about 20 miles from me.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1163788 said:
I have done 24 hour burns at 250º Dome using 10 Lb of RO with lump left over, I light it up with a Mapp Torch in several places. I really like the Wicked Good but they do not carry it here. May have to make a trip to Phoenix if it still available there.

wicked good for me is the same price shipped (3 bags) as it is in the stores. Freds & my local dealer both get $21 for a 20lb bag...

It depends on soo much. My son has a habit of getting the grill to about 300+ and then tries to bring it back down to 200. He can go through the charcoal in under 12 hrs.

I use the paraffin starters and put it about 1/2 way down in the center. Once that has burned out, I give it a nice stir and close the lid with all vents wide open. As soon as it hits 170 I shut the vents down for the long slow cook and I can get 20+ hours at 200 degrees or so.

Cowboy wood sucks imo. I found more treated wood in their bag than any other I have ever used. I guess they buy scrap wood from wood workers and it is not uncommon for them to get stained scraps.

Wood stain and food do not get along.

Did 29 hours with the Stoker once at 225. still had some lump left when I shut her down.
I light it in the center, with a piece of oiled paper towel of a firecube, no top, vent open fully. Then I let it get up to temp, put the food on and go.
I have had that issue where it is really cold and burns through the fuel, but i find i haven't filled it up all the way.

I had my large BGE burning for 20 hrs @ 225 yesterday, using cowboy, in 20 degree weather, there was lump left when I pulled the meat off.
I did fill it to the top of the fire ring. Alot of the lump was smallish pieces. It did need a couple of grate wiggles to keep the temp solid.

Back