How does a team become a champion

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. . . . .

This is so true for competition barbecue. I like Tim's comment about having thick skin when it comes to constructive criticism. So true . . . .

kapndsl said:
Kevin's "weighting factors" are right out of the KCBS cooks handbook.
FBA uses "weights" also--different numbers I have buried in an email somewhere.

Taste is the "biggie" in KCBS--but like Kevin says--gotta keep them all in mind!

TIM

I wasn't sure. I guess I learn something every day. Thanks for confirming it.

homebbq said:
I certainly did not suggest to ignore any of the criteria, but taste accounts for greater than 50% of your score. Here is how the breakdown is;

APPEARANCE—.5714; TASTE—2.2858; TENDERNESS/TEXTURE —1.1428.

Its important for it to look good, but if it doesn't cut it wih taste, its all over...

I always think of APPEARANCE as counting ONE, TASTE counts 4 and TENDERNESS/TEXTURE counts 2.

Those are the ratios of the KCBS's funny weighting factors.

Before the current weighting factors, KCBS did simply double the taste scores. Needless to say with todays volume there would be a lot of ties. The factors work pretty good. I think taste should be the heavy and appearance should be very light. I am as guilty as anyone at bitching about KCBS, but they are doing something right. The growth is huge. There were about 140 contsts in '04, about 200 in '05 and if they can find enough reps, I'd bet it'll be close to 300 in '06.

The growth is huge. There were about 140 contsts in '04, about 200 in '05 and if they can find enough reps, I'd bet it'll be close to 300 in '06.

I agree....and I will go as far as saying, in my area, in 3-5 years I can find a comp about every other weekend to cook at and not have to drive more than a hundred miles.

I've also heard of a so called circuit possibly being formed in the future.......that makes me want to start counting down my days to retirement, for sure! Move over Trigg, I'm out there with ya! :mrgreen:

Here's my take on what makes a BBQ champion.

Over the top attention to detail is my number one.
The big winners are obsessed. There is an old story about Mike Scrutchfield where he cooked chicken 60 times in 60 days to get it right. That story is true. Mike was the first cook I know of that tried to cook his food to manipulate the judges into giving him all 9's. He was one of the best when he cooked. We all learned then that you had to pay attention to every detail. Before that, guys just cooked some BBQ and hoped their's was the best that day. Some of the "legends" of BBQ were very good at that, but faded fast when this new way came to be.

I've had the pleasure of cooking with guys like Chris Lilly and Myron Mixon, Dirty Dick and Fast Eddy, and I gotta tell you, these guys get real serious. Another new guy that has that same look in his eye is Adam Perry Lang. These guys go into the zone. It's a waste of time even talking to them. Everything from the lettuce, to the wood to the brush they use for BBQ sauce is as good as it can possibly be, or every effort possible will be made to fix it. No excuses. I suspect Kevin is like this too. There are others.

Practicing all the time is a close second, and probably fits under the obsession title anyway. It's easier for the guys with restaurants, but not exclusive to them. And I mean practicing everything. Don't skip presentations. The food doesn't always fit in the box like you think it will.

For me, I must admit that my current BBQ life leaves me a little short of this obsession. I have too many distractions to do all the things that need to be done, but I'll be back.

DR,
Nice tips, and great thread guys. I have been taking all points to heart. This sport will probably kill me one way or another!

nmayeux said:
DR,
Nice tips, and great thread guys. I have been taking all points to heart. This sport will probably kill me one way or another!
Noah,
I saw it in your eyes at Dillard--welcome to the "DARK SIDE" :roll:

TIM

Back