How do you start your wood burning pizza oven?

CivilTrojan

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
Just started using our new wood burning pizza oven and having a really difficult time getting the wood going strong. We bought olive wood in what’s called “pizza oven cut” which is basically small splits. We split one of the splits into kindling and can get that going pretty good but isn’t enough to start a regular split going unless we stand there adding the kindling for about an hour, we even tried a propane torch which didn’t help much. Once it starts burning good it gets really hot and can easily start the next splits.

Anyone have any tips?

I put a med sized split on middle of stone then add kindling in a teepee style then add a couple more splits on top of that! Use torch to start and as it’s heating up I put a split or 2 on the side to warm up! Keeping the door fully open. I will usually start oven 2 hours before cooking to make sure stone and oven is hot! I push fire to the left sweep stone and keep A small split to far right to warm up before adding to fire! Once oven and stone is up to temp you can cook pies all night long by just adding a split here n there! Practice practice practice! Air flow is key! I usually use almond or oak I’ve never used olive! Hope this helpful

Last edited:
OIP.DDDf9mk3wxbTor_g0Z7NuwHaHa

I just set my father-in-laws pizza oven up and we started out with a bed of kindling/twigs and three mini-splits, let it all burn down to coals, moved it aside and then added fresh splits as necessary. Hummed along for 2-3 hours that way and got 5 pizzas and a calzone baked on the first try.

Thanks for all of your responses, sounds like I just need to be more patient and start earlier. The stupid owners manual said to use a fire starter under some small splits and once the splits got going it would warm up in 10 minutes… so I thought I was doing something wrong. I guess what I did wrong was read the manual!

Thanks for all of your responses, sounds like I just need to be more patient and start earlier. The stupid owners manual said to use a fire starter under some small splits and once the splits got going it would warm up in 10 minutes… so I thought I was doing something wrong. I guess what I did wrong was read the manual!
...or you failed switch to gas. I do just a few pies at a time and could not bother with all the drama of wood.

10 minutes!!! Wow, I think our manual said something like 30 minutes but my thinking was that it's like all wood fires and outdoor cookers, best give it 45m-1hr or until you've got a solid bed of coals.

Back