How do you smoke your meats

MrDsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
For those that cater and vend that don't have an NSF approved smoker how do you smoke your meats? Do you just say that you prepared them at your commissary or commercial kitchen? I'm curious because I'm leaning towards a Lang 84 deluxe or the lone star insulated vertical and I don't know if either will be approved. In the coming weeks I plan to go to the health department and figure all of this out however I'm just getting ideas before that time comes.

If you are getting licensed most likely you will have to have an inspection before you get your license and will have to prove you have an nsf smoker.

Lots of places don't require a NSF smoker. My local HD does not require it as long as you meet other specifications on food handling.

I have a Lang 84, and went to the Virginia Health Dept when I was setting up my nonprofit. I could not get a permanent vendors license because it isn't NSF equipment. I had to apply for and receive a Temporary Health Permit for each event we did. We were subject to inspection at each event. I'm sure it varies state by state. Since we are a 501(c)(3) charity, we are now exempt from this. I'd suggest getting in for a conversation with the health department sooner rather than later.

In California, there are all sorts of requirements and exceptions, most will be common to other locales as well. Obviously, if you are cooking in advance of the event, offsite, or indoors, you will need and NSF cooker. If you are cooking on site, cooking for immediate hot sale, or catering, then a cooker such as a Lang will generally be fine.

Vending at festivals and fairs, whole other deal, that often ends up being event by event, based upon the decision of the health department on what they will allow.

Back