• Shelf Thermometer

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • None-I just wing it

Votes: 10 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solidkick

somebody shut me the fark up.
Let's see what everyone's preferences are.

You can vote for more than one option...............

Depends if I'm cooking on a kettle or a WSM - on the Kettle- I use my hand and just wing it. On the WSM I use a probe.

I have a new Reditemp probe, but am still trying to figure out how to work it right. Tried the potato mod, didn't work well.

I monitor meat temps with a probe. Smoker temps I just subtract 25 from whatever the smoker thermometer is showing.

I start with my shelf therm and when the temp stabilizes I make note of the difference in the door therm and go from the door therm from then on. It all depends on how I have my tuning plates set up.

I have my wife stand in front of the Bandera and every 5 minutes I have her scream...

"Sir, The temp of your cooker is xx degrees, Would you like a beer or a peeled grape?"

Smoker said:
I have my wife stand in front of the Bandera and every 5 minutes I have her scream...

"Sir, The temp of your cooker is xx degrees, Would you like a beer or a peeled grape?"

You are SUCH a liar! hehehehe :twisted:

I sometimes use a probe thermometer but you don't have the brand(s) I use listed. :biggrin:

I've got accurate "door" thermometers in each chamber of my cooker - and then I'll sometimes put a probe at grate level - especially if I'm doing low temp stuff like jerky or buckboard bacon.

It really depends on the cooker.For my bullets I also use the Maverick ET-73. For the big cookers I use the door thermometers and a couple of shelf thermometers.

Willy T.

Willy,
You've got a good point, as my door therm sucks on the BSKD, I use the Nu-Temp, but on the Lang, I use the door therm. Anyway, the Nu-Temps are great!

I only trust my Poulder. When I stick my Poulder's probe in an ice bath, it reads 32*, when I stick it in a pot of boiling it reads 212*. That's accurate enough for me.

If I'm doing a brisket or butts, I use the Nu-temp. If its ribs and or chicken, the door thermometer. My door thermometer is pretty accurate.

Probe, not a name brand, since I keep losing them about every 6 cooks. Mounted thru a taters and sitting at grate level. have not ruined food since I started doing that and nobody here complains I think it works.

But I wish I could employee smoker's method. I don't see my wife standing by the smoker to read temps, let alone peeling me a grape. She will bring me a beer. Son it is not all bad.

I use the door thermometer. It may not be the most accurate, but it's Klose.:biggrin:

Ty

Back