how do you measure success at a bbq competition?

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I started entering backyard cookouts last year, mostly just for fun and to meet other bbq people but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about improving. my scores in 3 events have steadily improved but I was wondering what some more experienced cooks go by in determining a successful competition

so what do you go by?

scores, place, did you beat your buddy or do you do just consider the whole thing a crap shoot?

I know you cant put too much stock in a single event but how do you measure a good cook?

never good to measure success against your friends or peers. Personally I believe I'm competing against myself at every comp. You have to be brutally honest with yourself. As long as you are improving and turning out bbq that you can honestly say you're happy with I view that as a success. Results happen when you make good bbq and turn in good boxes.

1st contest I was just happy I got all the entries turned in on time without a DQ!

By the 3rd-4th contest I was looking on how to improve. Constantly searching the forums for tips, taking a class or two. So success started to shift to better scores. By the 5th contest I wanted to score in the top 50% overall. Now it's shifted to Top 10 overall.

Baby steps for me

We set goals for the year. Most of them revolve around average scores, or TOY rankings. We then track our progress over the year, but understand that one good/bad contest does not a year make.

It's hard to give a guideline, but let's just say the goal is always better. That means different things to different people. When we started, getting calls and cooking more was part of better (it still would be, but we're about where we can be right now in terms of number of contests. I see that changing in a few years, but we're going to be in that 13 range for a bit). Now we want calls, but we're focused on average scores.

YMMV based on your experience and goals. We're never going to shoot for TOY overall, but use it as a gauge to how we're doing relative to the rest of the teams. We also focus on our average scores because if we can score where we need, overall the results will be there too, even if sometimes a great score gets you 11th or a meh one gets you 3rd.

Over time, you perspective will change. When I started, I would have been THRILLED to place 4th,5th,6th overall. Now, I'm thinking that's an average weekend. Which means that you need to periodically review your goals and challenge yourself to keep yourself inspired.

It really boils down to 3,2,1 BBQ. You need to be able to place 3rd, 2nd, or 1st in every category (in general) to win GC. You should be working to improve your worst category, and believe me, which category it is will change from bankable to worst in the matter of a season.

It is also a perspective of where you are cooking. I cook in the PNW, so I'm not in the South/Midwest mecca of BBQ. Our contests are generally smaller number of teams, usually around 25. So you have to adjust your perception of success by that. And there is nothing wrong with a good dose of rationalization after the awards, because you did better than you thought you would, or you beat team X, you weren't DFL, etc. BBQ is a journey, and the journey is what makes great stories that you don't get by sitting in the driveway.

I tend to look at things a little differently :-D

I break it down into a three areas.

1. The Cook - Did I put out food that I am proud of?
  2. The Competition - Did the judges agree :becky:
  3. The Experience - Did we have fun?

If I can check off all three, then I am happy. If I F'up number 1, I am a biotch on the way home :-D

We also look at the stats. Our goal is GC, of course, but in most of the competitions we go to we're happy with top 10.

For me, I want to hear my team called. If I do, that is a successful event. From a personal standpoint, my daughter is my teammate, and as long as we spend time together, that really overshadows everything else. As long as we have fun, I go home happy.

I tend to look at things a little differently :-D

I break it down into a three areas.

1. The Cook - Did I put out food that I am proud of?
  2. The Competition - Did the judges agree :becky:
  3. The Experience - Did we have fun?

If I can check off all three, then I am happy. If I F'up number 1, I am a biotch on the way home :-D

We also look at the stats. Our goal is GC, of course, but in most of the competitions we go to we're happy with top 10.

I agree with your top 3. For me...those are essential. But even above those...my main goal is: don’t finish last.

For the first 8yrs it was all about winning, the last couple with only doing a few comps per year, the goal was to not worry about winning and just have fun. It’s been very hard to do.

I agree with your top 3. For me...those are essential. But even above those...my main goal is: don’t finish last.

If I was a cook, having fun would have to be my main goal. The only thing about competition is, last place will find you. I judged several years ago at a contest with most of, if not all the top ten most well-known names in BBQ. One of those teams messed up on a category ( not sure if it was DQ or bad) and was last or at least bottom 5 out of 80+ teams.

Back