How do you feel about giving away samples of BBQ at a comp.

I'm in an open tent, but I did not have anyone bother me during the turn-in times.............saw some of them hovering outside my space though, just waiting. I don't look at them directly, as that may invite them to start talking. Ater the turn-in I did have quite a few people come by and ask for samples, and because I cooked enough meat I gave some out. I'm not so sure that they were looking for lunch, as much as wanting to try competition food. Heck, I was on the other side of the fence, but I never had the pebbles to ask anyone for samples.

I did have one very interested and very nice couple stop by during the first (prep) day just to chat about BBQ.........they were thinking of getting into it next year. They came by again after turn-in the next day and we talked some more. They didn't even ask for samples............I offered it to them an allowed them to sample the complete selection.

we were listening to some of the war stories from Jay @ Smokehouse 72 im W'loo. People reaching under his arm to grab turn in meats????
I'm embarrased to belong to the same gene pool as these people.
ModelMaker

We generally say sorry, we're not licensed to vend and that generally works. Sometimes they ask where they can get some BBQ and we'll point them in the direction of the vendors.

I think the original question was about this situation during turn in times ... to me, that's the worst. Again we simply say that we're not licensed and if they continue we tell them that we are right in the middle of turn ins. Fortunately, we haven't had a problem but I often think of what I've heard from others.

After turn ins, I'm not much for just putting pans of food out for people to grab - that is unless the organizer supplies the teams with food to cook for the public - then fine. But their ain't no such thing as a free lunch for the most part. Like others have said, show interest, be polite, ask some questions and you'll probably get a few samples.

Thank the Lord but we have never run into folks who just snatch food. How rude! But we have had those who want to chat during that critical time period.

I have thought about hanging a sign that explains everything in this thread...like I paid $$$ to enter...can't sell you food...won't give away...can't talk from 11:30 to 1;30...etc.

Anyone every use a sign like that? Maybe if we just helped the general public understand the process it would eliminate some of these problems.

Uncle Bud

Thank the Lord but we have never run into folks who just snatch food. How rude! But we have had those who want to chat during that critical time period.

I have thought about hanging a sign that explains everything in this thread...like I paid $$$ to enter...can't sell you food...won't give away...can't talk from 11:30 to 1;30...etc.

Anyone every use a sign like that? Maybe if we just helped the general public understand the process it would eliminate some of these problems.

Uncle Bud

I think I remember a thread where the discussion got heated regarding a team who put up a "No Samples" sign on their table.

I do not like being bothered by anyone during turn-in times least of all GP looking for food. There are lots of ways organizers can incorporate public sampling into a contest...giving away samples during turn-in time isn't one of them.

In Dubuque last year we were the first team as you entered the area. I think everyone who walked into the BBQ area stopped to ask us for samples. Finally I made a sign that said all vendors with an arrow and put up. In those events where there is one or two main areas to enter for the public, I dont understand why the organizer can't have a sign that says something about where to get bbq, no samples, etc. Or put vendors at those locations instead of the furthest point away.

I think I remember a thread where the discussion got heated regarding a team who put up a "No Samples" sign on their table.

Would that be me????

:biggrin:

:rolleyes:

:twisted:

:razz:

:cool:

This will keep the "vultures" way for the most part..... if someone just stops by, and just starts chit chatting and asking general questions, etc... it is possible that he/she may get a quick sample.

I have found that for the most part, that little sign (which I usually put up abt 4 of them) will for the most part keep most of the people at bay. They will stop, look, watch, and usually talk among themselves that I do not hand out samples or sell, and walk away. Saves a lot of time while crunching to get the turn ins done and in on time without being real rude.

Bill

Attachments

• no sample sign.jpg
    no sample sign.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 134
Just my thoughts!!

If the venue allows it, I have no problem with samples! However, I dont thinks it's good to feed the "masses" with samples,when others have paid for the vending! Im a newbie, and still trying to figure this all out!My thinking is, after all the turn in's and all our "CRU" have had their fill with takehome, why not?? My fridge is filled!!:?:

Terry " BIG T'z

If the venue allows it, I have no problem with samples! However, I dont thinks it's good to feed the "masses" with samples,when others have paid for the vending! Im a newbie, and still trying to figure this all out!My thinking is, after all the turn in's and all our "CRU" have had their fill with takehome, why not?? My fridge is filled!!:?:

Terry " BIG T'z

honestly, I don't care after turn-in,,,I'm starting to hate bbq about this time of year anyways,,,,,

No matter where you're cooking, you are always going to find people who are genuinely interested and those looking for a free meal. They are not difficult to distinguish.

When we're vending, like we will be in Harpoon this weekend, we sell our competition samples right along with the vending food. They are priced a little higher as a result of increased costs.

At comps where we are not vending, we usually offer a nibble of something to a new friend. IMO, a small sample is like a little appetizer. Then we send them down to our favorite vendor.

If someone comes right out to ask without any conversation, I simply site that it is against both the contest rules and the health department rules for me to offer samples. That's good enough for most people.

Never had a brazen individual snatch items off the plate. And guessing I wouldn't handle that too well.

We generally say sorry, we're not licensed to vend and that generally works. Sometimes they ask where they can get some BBQ and we'll point them in the direction of the vendors.

I think the original question was about this situation during turn in times ... to me, that's the worst. Again we simply say that we're not licensed and if they continue we tell them that we are right in the middle of turn ins. Fortunately, we haven't had a problem but I often think of what I've heard from others.

After turn ins, I'm not much for just putting pans of food out for people to grab - that is unless the organizer supplies the teams with food to cook for the public - then fine. But their ain't no such thing as a free lunch for the most part. Like others have said, show interest, be polite, ask some questions and you'll probably get a few samples.

As a vendor I applaud this response. Remember we pay a fee and/or percentage to the contest as well. If you give away food you impact our revenue and the contest. If there are no BBQ vendors and the contest and local health dept. allow you to give away food I may give some things away. Truth is I'd rather take it home to share with neighbors.

As a competitor I've had people try to reach in and nothing works better than Carol picking up a large knife and putting it between the offending hand and the food and saying DON"T. But I have had turn-in food taken before I got the trailer. Now they won't enter the trailer.

I think the organizers need to get on board with this too. At a contest this year, I learned that I should give out free samples to the public via the radio. And at another contest I heard one person at the stage announce to the public to come back tomorrow at noon for samples of bbq.
I don't mind giving out samples but the organizer should not be telling me I need to give out samples that I paid for. If they paid for it, that's a different story.

We enjoy and try to hand out samples like everyone else. But we try to use toothpicks or cut samples small enough that they are getting a bite, not half a meal.

The folks that make us laugh are the ones that grab a handful of samples or fill a plate. I always say “Hey didn’t I see you in the grocery store this morning” Implying they were in grabbing free samples there too. Some get it some don’t.

We try not to let the inconsiderate people ruin it for the polite folks that are interested in what we’re doing. And that does become a challenge sometimes.

i would be happy to give out samples at MY discretion. if a person is interested in my smokers or Q in general, if i meet members from forums, if it's a friend etc...

if it's locally- you can also expect a business card.

if it's "required" by the organizers then they need to state that up front & provide the meat.

if anyone EVER grabs for anything-they will simply be sampling their fingers i remove & smoke for them....:twisted:

If there is vending, I don’t give anything out. If there is no vending, it’s my choice if someone gets a sample and that’s only after my guys have gotten their fill.

My guys now stand guard (just like our turtles) to keep people out of our site during turn-in. We had one person try and take a rib while I was slicing them. I simply looked at him and told him to get the fark out. My favorite is when Tony is with us… He’s a strong guy and part of the States Attorneys office… He takes no crap from anyone….

This last weekend it was really nice out so we decided to do all our prep outisde instead of in the trailer. Its amazing how the group forms and then begins to move closer and closer. Almost feel like the mouse as the cat is stalking you.:-o:-o:-o Had a few instances where a friendly person got a rib end or something and had people try and pull food right off the cutting board.:evil::evil::evil: I have been told I have a loud voice when necessary and it seems I yelled at a few people.:mad::mad::mad: Boy those hands disappear quicker then my kids do when I am mad.:lol: The best was when I offered two slices of brisket to a "friendly". They only took one piece as I turned to do something. At that point someone else picked up my knife and started to cut the second piece on top of my table...not even on the cutting board.:confused::confused::confused: Well everyone on the team got loud then and we quickly packed up everything. :wink:

I will give a taste to the "friendlys" but will not feed then. I also direct them to the vendors in general unless I have a buddy vending then I send to that specific one. I claim they cook the same or similar. Most GP won't know the difference. :lol:

Back