How do you build a great comp team?

Here's something I've somewhat struggled with, maybe you guys can give some advice...

The friends that like BBQ, are willing to come to a competition and eat leftovers and drink, and occationally help clean but don't want to help pay. As you all know, competiting isn't cheap. How do you handle friends that like to come to comps and enjoy the "fringe benefits" but don't want to pay for anything?

If they are there after turn-ins, I give them a couple of burnt ends and put them to work packing up the trailer. If I invite them on Friday, I just tell them that they can't walk in with alcohol so they need to get anything they want to drink to me ahead of time so that it comes in with the trailer.

If we are doing People's Choice, anyone visiting is a teammate/helper. Most of my friends are foodies or chefs, so I get some pretty good help.

Curiosity got the best of me so I entered a few comps last year. I am fortunate to have had a good mentor who gave me a great headstart but I spent a lot of time on the net looking at pics of turn-in boxes and started gearing my winter cooks towards kcbs turn-ins. I bought a video class and picked up a few things from it and spent a lot of time here going through old threads. Bought a copy of George Hensler's book "Starting The Fire" which covers a lot of questions for a start-up team and read it a few times. I took the CBJ class to get that perspective. I started timing my cooks, keeping notes, and experimenting with new recipes. Memorial Day weekend I packed up what I thought I needed and went to a campground. Did a full kcbs cook, real time, and turned in my garnished boxes to my judges (existing team) and after I was finished we went through their notes. This was an invaluable experience, I did it alone, and the judges watched, made notes, and gave me no input until afterward. Doing this affirms that you can meet the demands of a comp before you actually are in one and gets a few of the mistakes out of the way. When my first comp arrived my lady made the garnish boxes and I did the cooking. A few friends were on hand an hour before turn-ins to lend a hand as needed and we got through the first one. Got a few top ten calls and top ten overall. Second comp had an amateur comp run with it and same friends did that portion of the turn-ins. Got a few top five calls and top ten overall. Hearing your name called in your first few events will get you hooked and wanting to take it up a notch. Learn as much as possible before hand, make sure you can get all your meats turned in on time, take pictures of your boxes for later review as your mistakes stand out, and learn from your mistakes. I like the challenge of taking responsibility for the cooking and have so far enjoyed a great support group who I try to repay with good food and a team nite out at a supper club after season is over. You will meet many great people on your journey who are happy to help a new team find their way. Enjoy the experience. I apologize for the long winded reply.

A great deal depends on your personality. You know how well you play with others and how you deal with conflict. I chose the team route as I know when to be forceful and when to let someone else take the lead.
If you go the team route, have a playbook, with times and recipes. That way everyone knows what to do. Develop them together with practice.
Also, discuss the financial aspect. Be it all equal contribution, share expenses and rewards, or one leader assumes all.

Just remember to have fun.

Here's something I've somewhat struggled with, maybe you guys can give some advice...

The friends that like BBQ, are willing to come to a competition and eat leftovers and drink, and occationally help clean but don't want to help pay. As you all know, competiting isn't cheap. How do you handle friends that like to come to comps and enjoy the "fringe benefits" but don't want to pay for anything?

If they're your friends, then you should be able to have an honest conversation with them and tell them what's on your mind.
Remind them that the leftovers they're enjoying and the camp they get to hang out in all cost YOU money.

Personally, I wouldn't want the distraction.
We compete to win and take it seriously.
Having people there that are only interested in partying and nibbling and not at LEAST share the work will only distract you.

IMO.

My wife and I cook together. Okay I cook and she tells me how bad I've messed things up. She does most of the dishwashing and box building. I tend to help her with the boxes if I'm not out meandering around talking. It is something we started doing together and enjoy.

For the last 3 seasons I've competed as a 1-man team. It was my wife and me until our daughter was born, and when she gets a little older we'll make it a family team.

Couldn't have said it better myself...Those little daughters can keep a dad/pitmaster on his toes!

If they are in your camp, and you invited them there as your guests, its on you...they owe nothing.

If they are "on the team" then they need to pony up when asked. If they have been told before the contest that the team shares in costs equally, and they still don't pony up...then they are crappy friends.

A lot of people don't understand the costs behind this hobby. You need to explain to them before the contest how much it costs to do this contest, and what is expected of them.

Unless I specifically give out samples to try at a comp, all of my leftover bbq is bagged up and I sell it when I get home. It helps to recoup some of our expenses. Tell them if they want to eat, they are going to pay for it. I usually sell my ribs for $1 a bone, two chicken thighs or a small bag of pulled pork for $2 and brisket goes for $3 a bag. I have no problem selling it off at home.

just my 2cents...It can be done with one person, My first comp, I was alone and it was brutal...but I got the job done, well almost. I will say, it gets a bit boring when your sitting under a canopy in cold driving rain/snow @ 5 am feeding a stick burner.

just my 2cents...It can be done with one person, My first comp, I was alone and it was brutal...but I got the job done, well almost. I will say, it gets a bit boring when your sitting under a canopy in cold driving rain/snow @ 5 am feeding a stick burner.

Hey I was at that one also, wasnt any more fun watching you feed that stickburner.......:loco:

My wife and I are the main team members with the occasional friend or family member pitching in to help with random aspects.

At a normal comp I arrive and setup by myself on Friday night and my wife and son (he's 20 months old) will come later on in the night or early Saturday depending on the location. I prepare and cook all the meat pretty much by myself while the family gets some sleep. Saturday morning my wife is indispensable- she is well rested and ensures that the best meat gets in the box with the best presentation possible. Of course she helps with clean up and whoever else shows up is usually integral in watching our son and cleaning as well.

The first few comps were rough but now that we have a well thought process and schedule for a competition and the week leading up to it, things are very smooth. And I never get bored before they arrive since I've gotten to know a lot of KCBS that cook Georgia.

Normally just me. If you keep it simple it works out fine. When my wife and son can join they do. It is definitely more fun when they are there and simplifies things a bit from a turn in and cleanup perspective.

I think I need to update my signature.

Normally just me. If you keep it simple it works out fine. When my wife and son can join they do. It is definitely more fun when they are there and simplifies things a bit from a turn in and cleanup perspective.

I think I need to update my signature.

I see you sold it!!! What you cooking on this year?

My wife and I are the main team members with the occasional friend or family member pitching in to help with random aspects.

At a normal comp I arrive and setup by myself on Friday night and my wife and son (he's 20 months old) will come later on in the night or early Saturday depending on the location.

Man, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine (my son is 19 months). Hope to meet you out there this season. We are signed up for Cornelia and Sam's right now, not sure if we'll make many more (baby #2 is on the way).

Man, your situation sounds almost exactly like mine (my son is 19 months). Hope to meet you out there this season. We are signed up for Cornelia and Sam's right now, not sure if we'll make many more (baby #2 is on the way).

We will be in Cornelia and at Sam's Marietta- as long we cook fairly close we have usually have friends and family to watch the little guy during turn-in times.

I see you sold it!!! What you cooking on this year?

Starting off in Bainbridge, GA contest with my FEC. Will probably bring a WSM as backup. Will see how it goes and make a decision on final path. Leaning towards Onyx Ovens or Southern Q. Really just want to make sure my old brain can get rest at night.

• Thanks
Reactions: MAP
We are a 3 man team and the wives but its mostly 2 of us that seem really committed and do the work. The 3rd is the runner, dish washer and has a young child to contend with. I think 2 or 3 is the magic number

Back