How big a pig?

I cooked a pig on a La Caja earlier this year....I'm pretty sure it was about 60lbs. That cooker is wicked for full game. I'll tell you in advance to inject it everywhere you can find muscles or meat to fill in.

We fed a group of 40 with a ton left over. The only bad thing I noticed about the cooker was that when you flatten out the pig, it's a bit rough to get the grates closed back...when you do. It's easy. Make a gallon or two of Carolina Red and inject it. You'll have more than enough meat.

-Brian

I've cooks 2 pigs last year. No caja china though. found a site (google: 3guys from miami pig roast) and made my own caja out of cinder blocks, foil, a large sheet of stainless steel and 4 steel racks to sandwichg the pigs in. both times we roasted 60 pounders. It was great and all but for the cost of a whole pig, I'd rather have a bunch of pork shoulders.

Something I've been meening to ask for a while from those of you with lots of pig roast experience:

What is the approximate physical dimensions of a pig of various sizes? Say a 40 lber for a small gathering, or say an 85 lber for MBN contests? How much LxWxH space do you need for such pigs when butterflied, and when not, head on?

dmp

Buy the biggest you can that will fit that thing and cook it. I'm sure you have a freezer and a vacumm sealer.

Something I've been meening to ask for a while from those of you with lots of pig roast experience:

What is the approximate physical dimensions of a pig of various sizes? Say a 40 lber for a small gathering, or say an 85 lber for MBN contests? How much LxWxH space do you need for such pigs when butterflied, and when not, head on?

dmp
Dmprantz,

I don't have a lot of experience with pig roasts...the approximate dimensions from the 60 or so pound one I did earlier this year was 48x30x12ish butterflied. It fit perfectly into the Caja cooker. It had the head.

Thanks...so is it safe to say that would be about 48x15x24 as it comes? And was that 60lb live weight or trimmed weight? I forget.

dmp

dmp

Dmprantz,

I don't have a lot of experience with pig roasts...the approximate dimensions from the 60 or so pound one I did earlier this year was 48x30x12ish butterflied. It fit perfectly into the Caja cooker. It had the head.

Thanks...so is it safe to say that would be about 48x15x24 as it comes? And was that 60lb live weight or trimmed weight? I forget.

dmp

Is this what's called a HIJACK? :tongue:

I guess it is different every where . I know if I order a 125# pig , it will be 10# one way or the other "115-135". Most of the time it will yeild 50% the weight you start out with .

Rick

Back