Hot wings

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Been wanting to try my own hot wings for some time. Considering I may finally try them when I make them for a party I need some advice. Do you guys smoke them or grill them or deep fry them (and then put in sauce)? I could see doing some on my UDS but not sure of the procedure.

For me, the more time you have the better.
I like to smoke them (very light smoke) for 2 hours at 250ish.
Then crank up to 400 for 10 mins or so.
Then a quick bath in the deep fryer 5 mins.
Then roll them around in sauce of choice.

I find that the longer smoke time breaks down a lot of the cartilage and fat and make them "pull of the bone" good.
You can easily skip the fry part as the crank up to 400 crisps them pretty good.

I saw a thread yesterday or so that got me thinking about some wings. Going to find what I can and cook some this weekend. My plan is to sprinkle with oil, S&P, and put in the UDS as hot as it will go. Then baste in Franks the last 15-30 minutes. Dark meat chicken is pretty resilient, so I bet it will turn out great no matter what you do.

Is it just me, or does everyone feel like they need to use their UDS / smoker at least once a week? Must be a human gene or something.

I am in love with buffalo wild wings mango habanero sauce. I have done blazin twice and I can eat them but mango kicks ass. It is the perfect blend of heat and sweet. So it is best to cook the wings then put sauce on towards the end?

Ive done them all three ways and to me they are superior when deep fried. Thats how I prefer them.

so you fully cook them in the deep fryer and then put them in the sauce and don't use a smoker at all?

I will be sure and check that out later. We're on our way to our homecoming football game. My mouth is watering.

Just to clarify

I either smoke, grill or fry. Depending on the mood but I usually will just stick to one way of cooking whether it's smoking, grilling or frying.

I just found this one I also posted just to give an idea. This one involves smoking or grilling since some people don't consider the PBC a smoker:grin:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186054

Dark meat chicken is pretty resilient, so I bet it will turn out great no matter what you do.Is it just me, or does everyone feel like they need to use their UDS / smoker at least once a week? Must be a human gene or something.

You are right about dark meat chicken, but wings are white meat, at least the ones I have eaten.

My recipe for wings is to go to "Birdies Wings" locally here and buy what ever flavor I am craving. No muss, no fuss, and easy clean up. They also sell some awesome fried green tomatoes. :clap:

Blessings,

Omar

Brine for 1 hour (simple brine).
Rinse brine, pat dry.
Apply a little oilve oil and a heavy dusting of HDD & a little S&P
Grilled @ 350 until done (approx 45min)
Toss in Kinders XXX or "NO Butz" sauce w/ a little more HDD or Daves Original Wing sauce & honey butter mix
Back on the grill to set the sauce.
Enjoy w/ a couple ice cold Anchorsteams.

JT

Brine for 1 hour (simple brine).
Rinse brine, pat dry.
Apply a little oilve oil and a heavy dusting of HDD & a little S&P
Grilled @ 350 until done (approx 45min)
Toss in Kinders XXX or "NO Butz" sauce w/ a little more HDD or Daves Original Wing sauce & honey butter mix
Back on the grill to set the sauce.
Enjoy w/ a couple ice cold Anchorsteams.

JT

Correction... It's Frank's Original wing sauce, not Dave's.

JT

You are right about dark meat chicken, but wings are white meat, at least the ones I have eaten.
r

They are technically white meat, but they are resilient when cooking and seem to cook similar to dark meat. I can't remember eating a bad wing, but I've ate plenty of bad chicken breasts.

Hard to beat a good fried or broasted wing. If you want to do them on the UDS, I cook at 315 to 325, sauce at the very end. I use a deflector above the coals to stop some of the grease flair ups from reaching the wings.

My mouth is watering so much talking about this and seeing these pics. Now if I could just find time to do it. :mmph:

For me, the more time you have the better.
I like to smoke them (very light smoke) for 2 hours at 250ish.
Then crank up to 400 for 10 mins or so.
Then a quick bath in the deep fryer 5 mins.
Then roll them around in sauce of choice.

I find that the longer smoke time breaks down a lot of the cartilage and fat and make them "pull of the bone" good.
You can easily skip the fry part as the crank up to 400 crisps them pretty good.

This is exactly what I did last week as an experiment. However I also injected the wings with a +/- 20/80 mixture of Franks and Parkay. Smoked about 2 hrs low n slow with cherry, then finished them in the fryer and tossed in franks wing sauce. These were the best wings I have done so far.

My six year old son told me he liked the fried wings from the pizza joint so I had to step up my technique and these are his favorite for now.:clap2:

I got my first hankerin' to make my own smoked wings after I found a place called Aviator Smokehouse in Fuquay Varina, NC. They were the BEST! Smoked and then deep fried for the crispiness that I love in a good wing. I don't brine but I do put my dry rub on and put them on the smoker low and slow with Apple and Hickory. Once they come off, I drop them in the deep fry for a few minutes, drain and sauce. I have never had any dry out on me.

Back