Hot n' Fast Brisket #2 on WSM

wahoowad

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
PookieBoo
Last week I tried my first hot n fast brisket cook, but it wasn't the 6 to 8 hour cook I was aiming for. I had some issues maintaining temp in the WSM so the cook took 10 hours. The brisket still turned out good.

Today I'm trying another, and for the first time going with an empty water pan in my 18" WSM. Brisket is a 11 lb. Costco Prime, thin yellow mustard bind layer and also trying some BlackOps rub for the first time.

Got my coals going early and meat on by 6:30 AM.

CtamB5oh.jpg

AS96wxqh.jpg

PtKhs6eh.jpg

1ps6Em5h.jpg

After 3 hours we're at 165 and been holding between 315 - 325. I'm going to wrap for the first time, but my bark hasn't set so I'll check again at 170. I have some rain starting and worried that will impact my temps (it has in the past)

Looks like you are right on schedule. No shame in finishing in the oven if rain starts. I like that you didn't just wrap because it was 160. I love bark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks like a 11 pounder stretches your WSM out :heh: All the more reason to get the 22” version!

Looks like you are right on schedule. No shame in finishing in the oven if rain starts. I like that you didn't just wrap because it was 160. I love bark.

Since I'm cooking faster, I'm wondering if the rendering is going to continue to keep my meat moist (like it is now) and prevent the bark from setting until much later? I feel like my bark doesn't usually set up until later anyway on prior cooks.

I may not wrap - gonna let the bark formation drive things.

For what it’s worth when I do hot and fast (300+) briskets on my WSM I don’t get near the same bark formation as I do when I cook at lower temps like 250-275 over a longer time period.

For what it’s worth when I do hot and fast (300+) briskets on my WSM I don’t get near the same bark formation as I do when I cook at lower temps like 250-275 over a longer time period.

I suspect that will be the case here too.

Since I'm cooking faster, I'm wondering if the rendering is going to continue to keep my meat moist (like it is now) and prevent the bark from setting until much later? I feel like my bark doesn't usually set up until later anyway on prior cooks.

In my experiences, when you leave surface fat on the top of the flat, it keeps the bark from setting very good if you are planning on wrapping. I make sure that I trim all this off, I even trim most of the silver skin off too.

If your rub is overly thick, it too can keep the bark from setting.

Took about 7.5 hours today. I can't complain about this bark. Gonna let it rest for a little bit, then hold in the oven. Taste testing at dinner time!

fTV6nNQh.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be a good one

I don’t have my hopes up. It was oddly constructed with almost no point hump, and just weird types of fat. I trimmed the cap down lower than desired to eliminate some of this weird fat.

Even if it isn’t awesome it will still make good chili or chopped brisket so no real downside.

looks good from the outside, I'm interested in the end result

Looks like I'll have a couple batches of chili to look forward to :oops:

Pics may look Ok but overall I'm not happy with the results. The bottom was really tough where the absence of a decent fat cap produced areas of rawhide that I could barely cut through. The flat was dry so will be chili. The point area was better marbled and thus juicier, but just lacked that tasty brisket flavor. The BlackOps rub did not appeal to me - not as robust a flavor as the MeatChurch I've been using. I'm sure some will prefer a milder rub but I like the big taste I get from MeatChurch Holy Cow and Holy Gospel.

This was my fastest hot-n-fast brisket at 7.5 hours. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Might try another and do it less fast, but faster than 225/250 that usually involves an overnight part of the cook.

wx9FqBbh.jpg

4nx0oCqh.jpg

7jhUmgrh.jpg

The slaw and Corn looks delicious. Looks like it might have been a better idea to wrap the brisket in foil when it hit 160*?

Keep at it, always enjoy your pictures and thoughts!

Back