Hot Italian Sausage

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Ground up a couple pork butts with my LEM #5 grinder.

Had a few pounds (1488 grams) leftover and decided to make some Hot Italian Sausage with it.

Using this recipe, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2906447&postcount=33 , I made up a quart mason jar full the seasoning -- enough for 30 pounds of pork.

Then I mixed 55 grams (1488 x 3.7%) of the seasoning with the leftover pork, along with some olive oil (1488 x 2.4%).

Fried up a couple patties and they were as delicious as ever -- perfectly seasoned and salted.

Over the past couple years, I've made up a few of these jars of this seasoning and it works perfect every time. The seasoning seems to store well and hold its potency enough.

Sure makes it easy to whip up some sausage just weighing the meat and multiplying by 3.7% to get the weight of the seasoning to mix in.. very very fast. Just make up these jars beforehand for up to 30 pounds! :)

EDIT: write down the weights of the ingredients that you add in to the mix, because you might be short on one of the spices and have to make a run to the store to finish the recipe -- that way you know exactly how much to add of the remaining ingredients. For a mason quart jar full of this stuff, it's going to take quite a bit of spices.. that's why it's important to get the best deals as possible (mentioned in the recipe). Like if I recall it takes about a full bottle of paprika .. I get them for only $1 a piece at Aldi. And buy the bags of star anise and fennel from Asian store since it uses a lot of those as well. If you can't get great deals on all these spices, then it might not be worth it to make up this big jar.

Last edited:
I'd love to learn to do that myself...and miss you and your posts girlfriend!

It's really easy.. just weigh and grind up spices together and throw in mason jar :) The link to recipe explains it in detail including where to buy all the spices affordably.

Yeah I miss our conversations as well :)

Back