Hot and Fast Turkey WITH STUFFING, where it should be!

Is that temp of 156 the temp of the stuffing or the breast or thigh meat? If its the stuffing what was the temp of the above mentioned meat. I ask because I have gone under the assumption that a temp of 165 ( meat ) is when its considered safe.

Is that temp of 156 the temp of the stuffing or the breast or thigh meat? If its the stuffing what was the temp of the above mentioned meat. I ask because I have gone under the assumption that a temp of 165 ( meat ) is when its considered safe.

Below are the many-times reposted knucklhed post showing the safe times from the USDA. Yes, 165 is safe if it is kept there for 10 seconds. According to this chart, if Bill's turkey and stuffing, cooked to 156*, remained at that temperature for one minute, it is considered safe to eat. You have to factor in both time and temperature. Most people don't and just go by the 165* number as that's all the government tells us. Heck, who can remember this chart? I believe the bigger threat is cross-contamination from dirty knives and cutting boards that haven't been properly sterilized before making that salad.

Alrighty folks... 'setcher lil hearts at ease - Most of the USDA's "blah, blah, blah" is designed so the that the average burger flipper can remember it -

Let me ask this question though, would you consider chicken kept at 137 for an hour to be:
A) Lethal - WTH are you trying to do to me man????
B) Just right! Bring it on, I'm hungry fo' that!

FDA says... Good to go! What???? AYFKM???!!!! (Are you freaking kidding me??)

Now, I'm not saying that the taste & texture will be what you want, but - technically, safe.

From USDA.gov - pages 5 - 16: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/FSISNotices/RTE_Poultry_Tables.pdf

Times for given temperature, fat level, and species needed to obtain
7-log10 lethality of Salmonella*
------------------------------------ fat%=9 ------------------------------------
Temperature (
o
F) Time for Chicken Time for Turkey
136 74.8 min 67.6 min
137 59.7 min 55.3 min
138 47.7 min 45.4 min
139 38.3 min 37.3 min
140 30.8 min 30.8 min
141 24.9 min 25.5 min
142 20.1 min 21.1 min
143 16.3 min 17.4 min
144 13.2 min 14.4 min
145 10.7 min 11.9 min
146 8.6 min 9.8 min
147 6.9 min 8 min
148 5.5 min 6.5 min
149 4.3 min 5.2 min
150 3.3 min 4.1 min
151 2.5 min 3.2 min
152 1.8 min 2.4 min
153 1.4 min 1.9 min
154 1.1 min 1.5 min
155 51.4 sec 1.3 min
156 40.7 sec 1 min
157 32.2 sec 49.7 sec
158 25.4 sec 40.3 sec
159 20.1 sec 32.7 sec
160 15.9 sec 26.6 sec
161 12.6 sec 21.6 sec
162 10 sec 17.5 sec
163 <10.0 sec 14.2 sec
164 <10.0 sec 11.5 sec
165 <10.0 sec <10.0 sec

Below are the many-times reposted knucklhed post showing the safe times from the USDA. Yes, 165 is safe if it is kept there for 10 seconds. According to this chart, if Bill's turkey and stuffing, cooked to 156*, remained at that temperature for one minute, it is considered safe to eat. You have to factor in both time and temperature. Most people don't and just go by the 165* number as that's all the government tells us. Heck, who can remember this chart? I believe the bigger threat is cross-contamination from dirty knives and cutting boards that haven't been properly sterilized before making that salad.

Good to know Thanks.

That's a good lookin' turkey SmokinAussie. When I was growing up, the only way to cook turkey was stuffed and I loved it. Now the USDA has gotten everyone away from that and I miss the taste of the stuffing with the turkey juice. I cook turkey year round and I think I'll try one stuffed again. Thanks.

Haaaa! :clap: Really? I grew up having stuffing INSIDE DA BYRD and I never got sick (other than ate too much). This has become ridiculous. I assure you that I will be setting in the Acme Oyster House in New Orleans on an April evening eating RAW OYSTERS! Although it makes sense to limit ones chances of food poisoning I'm more concerned with the chef's hands and the cleanliness of the kitchen.

I cook "dressing" outside of the bird just to spend things up (I frequently spatchcock) but if you're doing a good old stuffed turkey please enjoy. I know it's great!

Thanks Gore. Yes, exactly right. Bacteria is introduced through a VECTOR. Dirty knives, hands, cutting boards and poor storage conditions.

As for the IT of the actual flesh of the bird.. I never measured it because it didn't matter.

It was always going to be higher than the stuffing, so it didn't matter.

What mattered was the resting period for getting a nice moist bird. That sure would not happen if I'd flogged it to 170 or more.

And as another poster pointed out. You'll eat a raw oyster, but have an apoplexy about stuffing in a bird? Last time I heard, Hepatitis was a pretty serious disease!

Titch: The shanks were at Tasman, Oakleigh. Sorry buddy, I bought them out! :redface:

Cheers!

Bill

Well, I guess that puts all this "YOU HAVE TO.. silliness to bed once and for all. Good job with that bird mate! I grew up with stuffed turkeys as I believe most here who are "older" did without any worry of getting sick. Our only concern was whether or not we would get our fair share! :cry:

Blessings,

Omar

Well, I guess that puts all this "YOU HAVE TO.. silliness to bed once and for all. Good job with that bird mate! I grew up with stuffed turkeys as I believe most here who are "older" did without any worry of getting sick. Our only concern was whether or not we would get our fair share! :cry:

Blessings,

Omar

Ain't that the truth. There was always competition around our table for the stuffing from inside the turkey. We always had extra "dressing" but the prize was the stuff from inside the bird.

Love this cook, SmokinAussie! I have been known to stretch dates the odd time when it made sense to me and the smell and texture confirmed it made sense. I think the hard and fast rules are good for some. For others, education will help them bend what can be bent. This was a good education.

Gore, I didn't know about that temp and time chart from brother Knucklhed - that's great to have, thank you for posting. It makes sense to me. Having learned about this I'm going to do enough research to learn more about bending these rules. It's a shame how many fresh turkeys are destroyed two days after Christmas while people local to that go hungry through poverty. Someone with the right education could make a difference during the holidays and throughout the year.

Back